It is currently Sun Oct 04, 2026 3:04 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: ubuntu wont boot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:45 am  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2010
Posts: 54
i upgraded to 10.10 from 10.4 but now when i try to boot ubuntu i get a menu that says grub and has somthing like a comand promt/terminal type thing. i have no clue what to do.
i have a video of me trying to boot it if that is necesary but i dont want to use windows unless necesary

posted via dsi so sorry for typos

_________________
I AM DARK LITE
Image
WELCOME TO NoGo


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: ubuntu wont boot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:13 am  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Which prompted me to create this post.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=607

Sorry that happened to you too DL; PC said the best thing to do is back up your data and do a fresh install. I tried to install the 64-bit version. It installed fine, but, when I tried to do updates, it blocked them (even though it says those updates were there and needed to be installed). I gave up and hosed it. Since I was using a VM of Ubuntu, it took all of a few seconds to get Lynx back and I'm sticking with that until Meerkat bugs are all out. I will add that my upgrade from Koala to Lynx went quite smooth, so obviously the upgrade feature from Lynx to Meerkat is way too buggy. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: ubuntu wont boot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:01 am  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
I want to turn one of my old machines to a Linux machine, having used Unix many years ago. But what is all this Koala, Lynx and Meerkat? What happened to plain old numbers? I know that 1 comes before 2, etc., but I didn't know animals came in sequence too. What is before Koala and what animal is after Meerkat? I know my comments may sound snippy, I don't mean them that way (I sometime use humor when I get confused) it just doesn't make sense to me and if I am going to start using Linux, I'll need to understand this.

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: ubuntu wont boot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:41 am  (#4) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Apr 23, 2010
Posts: 1553
Location: not from Guildford after all
PhotoMaster wrote:
... it just doesn't make sense to me and if I am going to start using Linux, I'll need to understand this.

I've always appreciated Slackware's release naming scheme (amongst other things).

_________________
Any sufficiently primitive technology is indistinguishable from a rock.


Top
 Post subject: Re: ubuntu wont boot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:58 am  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 30, 2010
Posts: 1937
Location: Missouri
My experience with linux so far has been dismal, I just can't get it connected to my gateway and i can't figure out how to install software manually. people keep telling me to use synaptic, which I tried but I can't get it to install anything. I think Linux isn't seeing my wireless board and from what research I've seen I need to install ndswrapper so it can use my windows driver but i can't get ndswrapper installed.
makes me want to cuss and kick things.

_________________
Image
The last time I kept an open mind,
my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.


Top
 Post subject: Re: ubuntu wont boot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:50 am  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
I've not had any issues nor had to use ndswrapper for drivers since after (or was that before) jacolopes Gms. As to address PM's nomenclature, they replaced numbers with sequential alphabetical names. What happens after the Zs (assuming something with zebra like Zany Zebra for instances; lol) I have no idea how they will name them. We have years to even contemplate this issue though. Might come before January 19th, 2038 at 03:14:07 UTC though but the end of life as we know it happens December 21st, 2012 so nothing really matters anyway. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: ubuntu wont boot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:50 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 30, 2010
Posts: 1937
Location: Missouri
I'm not sure ndswrapper is necessary, I just saw it on a few places that I was wandering round while trying to solve this problem. The only reason i considered it was because i saw it mentioned in 2 or 3 places. I WISH I knew something abut linux, I haven't been a noob for 30 years or so and i don't like being one again.

_________________
Image
The last time I kept an open mind,
my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.


Top
 Post subject: Re: ubuntu wont boot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:03 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
As a side note, I did find a site that actually led me to be able to boot my original upgrade to gui, but the result was unstable and eventually crashed so I won't lead you down that path. Best to re-install 10.04 (Lynx). It's still good for 3 more years of support. I'll wait til O or later series before trying to install Ubuntu again. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: ubuntu wont boot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:07 pm  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2010
Posts: 54
wish i knew that thread was abut before passing looking at it. right now i compresing/copying my picture file for xp then installing ubuntu 10.4 back
will never use that upgrade feature again. just use a disk
thanks for saving me time frustration and breaking the tower with sledgehammer lyljk

_________________
I AM DARK LITE
Image
WELCOME TO NoGo


Top
 Post subject: Re: ubuntu wont boot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:11 pm  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
lylejk is not needed such long waiting
Just wait 6 mounths and then Mekraat will be perfectly stable...then only problem would be resist to the Evil forces that will try to convince to upgrade to Nasty Nutria (or however would be called )

For Ubuntu is a too high priority the respect the planned timetable
...sometime 5 month would be more then sufficent,
more often would be needed 7 or 8 month to create a new but even stable release

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
 Post subject: Re: ubuntu wont boot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:21 pm  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
I can't seem to find that thread anymore but it had something to do with replacing the video driver with a default device using a retrieve command (network still worked; lol) but I can't seem to find it right now.

As a side note, you might want to dump your video driver to whatever the generic default driver is before upgrading and then re-install the right driver. Seems like a lot of folk has experienced the command prompt after upgrading. Again, what a pain. lol

:)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: ubuntu wont boot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:44 pm  (#12) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2010
Posts: 54
now it wont reinstall and xp got deleted what the F#!$
at least i can run from the disk but how do i fix this.

ERROR COPYING FILE
worst update i ever did

EDIT: look through the file system and i think ots grub an boot options not being installed

_________________
I AM DARK LITE
Image
WELCOME TO NoGo


Top
 Post subject: Re: ubuntu wont boot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:59 pm  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
NO..Wait, Windows was not deleted , at least is very very improbable
Simply removing Linux you removed also Grub , so Windows is still in its place but you can't load because you removed the loader

If you plan to reinstall Ubuntu that will fix immediatly restoring the access to Win

If not you may use the Windows CD NOT to reformat but to recover (or repair ? not sure of word used you got the sense )) you get the option to chose "repair" and reformat almost at start

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Last edited by PhotoComix on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Post subject: Re: ubuntu wont boot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:01 pm  (#14) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
I do hope you have an old copy of Ubuntu (Lynx). Meerkat is a bomb (not the bomb; lol). Good luck on your quest. Mine lasted a little more then 3 hours before I said no mas (I don't give up easily; lol). :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: ubuntu wont boot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:17 pm  (#15) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
Ubuntu has the copy...a bit hidden in a linux-geek-style repository but few minuts should be sufficent to track the link
with large chose (10.04 for server, desktop, kubuntu 10.04,xubuntu 10.04 ..)

anyway i should agree with you that Meerkat is a bomb (same power to bring havock on innocent victims )

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
 Post subject: Re: ubuntu wont boot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:38 pm  (#16) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2010
Posts: 54
no i deleted windows. i checked the disk and it said it was good so when
when i was reinstalling ubuntu it said use entire [hard?]disk] you know what i mean] and i used that
the first thing it did was clear the disk



@lyljk my disk that wont install is 10.4
thanks for the help guys
man do i need a new computer

Edit: @pc are you talking about the 10.4 download link link
the dowload page has it as a choice drop down menu for me (10.10 or 10.4)

_________________
I AM DARK LITE
Image
WELCOME TO NoGo


Top
 Post subject: Re: ubuntu wont boot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:59 pm  (#17) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
yes thank i was sure was still easy to found.

sure if you used the whole disk Windows is gone...well ..not really often most could still be recovered even from reformatted HD :
no data is really deleted from a HD till is not overwritten,and maybe ubuntu overwrite only a little part of what before
but is worth only if you had document or thing you want save.


if is just to reinstall the OS then better the Windows CD

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
 Post subject: Re: ubuntu wont boot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:06 pm  (#18) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2010
Posts: 54
sorry im tired and frustrated what do you mean by
Quote:
but if is just to reinstall the OS then better the Windows CD

if its the cd that widows came on i dont even have it

_________________
I AM DARK LITE
Image
WELCOME TO NoGo


Top
 Post subject: Re: ubuntu wont boot
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:50 pm  (#19) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Hopefully the fact that you are able to respond here, you have an available PC to browse. I don't have the direct link, but if you can download the ISO file and burn a CD with it, then definitely get 10.04 (Lynx) and re-install the OS. If you can back up your data prior, that would be ideal, but you will need to have access to tools that can work outside your PC to do so, or, if possible, you can take the HD out, connect it to your current accessable PC as a secondary drive (OS has to be able to read the drive of course; if your drive is formatted for Linux file system, then you have to use a Linux PC to do this) but if you don't need your data, or, don't care, then just re-install the OS. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: ubuntu wont boot
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:19 am  (#20) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
the point is that if you want also Windows ( you have the right to have a back up CD or at least to have the OS reinstalled at fair price from your PC assistence service in case was not a recover CD included )you should install Windows first

Not that is impossible doing after but is more complex

If you want only linux no problem and anyway thank to Wine you may run in linux also a lot of windows programs

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group