It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 5:15 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Help WIth Photo Manipulation
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:36 am  (#21) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12849
Thanks for the comments; tried to give more details to the facial area but keep the rest abstract. Again, artist I'm not; faker I am. lol

:)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Help WIth Photo Manipulation
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:57 am  (#22) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 08, 2013
Posts: 1088
:)


Attachments:
grampa-clark-SSX1.jpg
grampa-clark-SSX1.jpg [ 3.69 MiB | Viewed 3446 times ]

_________________
Image
Top
 Post subject: Re: Help WIth Photo Manipulation
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:21 am  (#23) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
I like the abstract version, Lyle. It might look cool blown up to poster size.

In trying to improve the original scan, I suppose there is just going to be a trade off between details and smoothing. I think you guys have done an good job of finding the sweet spot. :bigthup

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: Help WIth Photo Manipulation
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:39 pm  (#24) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
Gnutux,
if you like "artistic" processing, why not trying MediaChance DAP?
Here are some examples (the output can be more precise if you let the program continue painting, I stopped it quite soon...)


Attachments:
grampa-clark-roll-one-compressed_DAP_Cezanne.jpg
grampa-clark-roll-one-compressed_DAP_Cezanne.jpg [ 399.35 KiB | Viewed 3428 times ]
grampa-clark-roll-one-compressed_DAP_Monet.jpg
grampa-clark-roll-one-compressed_DAP_Monet.jpg [ 563.29 KiB | Viewed 3428 times ]
grampa-clark-roll-one-compressed_DAP_klimt.jpg
grampa-clark-roll-one-compressed_DAP_klimt.jpg [ 593.33 KiB | Viewed 3428 times ]

_________________
"Where am I ?"
Top
 Post subject: Re: Help WIth Photo Manipulation
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:56 pm  (#25) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12849
I agree with dinasset. I was one of the original owners of this cool program. Worth every penny I spent over the years for the program and the updates. Oscar is one of the best programmers I've seen and he sells several cool programs, but I only purchased Photo-Reactor (since I'm a huge believer in node editors; future of editing and GIMP too will soon be able to do this; one of the reasons I have Postwork Shop Pro too) and DAP. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Help WIth Photo Manipulation
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:24 pm  (#26) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 09, 2011
Posts: 726
All good works there!

molly, very good work with noise reduction. What filters you've used?
Here my attempt. I cheated a little using first RawTherapee for noise reduction. Then in GIMP with very little of G'MIC Iain's noise reduction to reduce fine noise, unsharp mask for detail and a bit of manual retouching:
Image

_________________
Image
Be patient, English is not my language.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Help WIth Photo Manipulation
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:18 pm  (#27) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
I gave it a go. Not the best:

Image

Lightened this one up a bit. Lost a bit of detail:

Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Help WIth Photo Manipulation
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:40 am  (#28) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 08, 2013
Posts: 1088
Blew this up to a height of 12000. " looked alright " said the blind man :)


Attachments:
grampa-clark-sketchCol - 3193x4000.jpg
grampa-clark-sketchCol - 3193x4000.jpg [ 2.58 MiB | Viewed 3359 times ]

_________________
Image
Top
 Post subject: Re: Help WIth Photo Manipulation
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:45 am  (#29) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 24, 2010
Posts: 504
Location: Western Vic Australia
SystemX, Dinnaset, Yafu and The Warrior, all great images. As mentioned when you lighten, you lose detail. I tried Wavelet Decompose, Iain noise filter and several despeckle filters . In the end I decided on Iain's Noise reduction filter in G'Mic. My image is much the same as yours and in the end I am still not happy with it but the more I try the more detail gets lost.
The only thing I did different is that I cloned out the flashlight reflection in the glass of the cabinet behind the subject before I started playing. I think that the reflection is an unwanted item.
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Help WIth Photo Manipulation
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:10 am  (#30) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
Most excellent work. :jumpclap

You guys could start an online business and make a fortune restoring & enhancing old potos. :bigthup

I can almost tell what's on that table behind him. The tall crystal bottle to the right of the clock is filled with camphor. I always grabbed the bottle, shook it up, popped the top off and took a big whiff. Camphor has a great smell. Camphor is used as a liniment.

Wbool63, thanks also for recommending Iain's Noise reduction filter in G'Mic. I will take some time and play with that.

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: Help WIth Photo Manipulation
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:14 am  (#31) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
I remember my mother making camphor bags and pinning them to our pajamas when we had a cold. It is a very nice smell.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Help WIth Photo Manipulation
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:45 am  (#32) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 08, 2013
Posts: 1088
:gimp


Attachments:
gcgrampa-clarke-non-destructive2aFinal1807x2289.jpg
gcgrampa-clarke-non-destructive2aFinal1807x2289.jpg [ 4.23 MiB | Viewed 2692 times ]

_________________
Image
Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group