It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 5:27 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Dreamy Photo Effects like Luca Venter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:13 am  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 01, 2013
Posts: 7
Hello Gimpchat community!

I love the photography of Luca Venter. He takes a lot of photos of musicians, and his style is stunning. Beautiful, soft colours and dreamy textures abound.

Because I'm a new member (and can't post links) just google: luca venter vsco, and click on the first link for an interview and gallery of some of his amazing work.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips to help me achieve the kind of dreamy textures found in his work. I know it must involve savvy use of texture overlays/screens. I am a big fan of using light leak textures, but I haven't been able to quite emulate the type of dreamy lights that Luca has achieved.

Also how can I achieve those ghostly blur trails? And does anyone know how to get that kaleidoscopic lens effect?

If anyone has any tips on replicating some of these effects I'm all ears! Thank you!


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Dreamy Photo Effects like Luca Venter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:42 am  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2012
Posts: 949
Location: Mesa, AZ
Some of it looked like double exposures. Some others maybe motion blur overlays. You can experiment with various distortions like maybe perspective to get a different kind of effect. Try gradient overlays too. There's a lot of different ways to tackle his images.

_________________
Image

I now have a Tumblr, check it out!


Top
 Post subject: Re: Dreamy Photo Effects like Luca Venter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:58 am  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 01, 2013
Posts: 7
Ah yeah I completely forgot about the double exposure technique! I even have an Holga camera that makes it really easy to do! Lots of good info here, ek22. I'll have lots of fun trying out these techniques. And I'll report back with the results!


Top
 Post subject: Re: Dreamy Photo Effects like Luca Venter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:11 am  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 30, 2013
Posts: 63
It's easy to create a double-exposure effect in GIMP. Try this:
http://iffles.com/2009/10/26/adding-a-texture-in-gimp/

Also try color toning. Here's a tutorial about using curves to adjust colors:
http://blog.patdavid.net/2012/06/gettin ... urves.html

A simpler way to adjust colors is to use a preset (after all, VSCO wants you to buy their film emulation presets). If you have G'MIC, take a look at the Film Emulation - Various filters. "Vintage Alt" or "Sunny" will add the soft warm tones and low contrast that I see in many of Mr. Venter's images.
http://gmic.sourceforge.net/film_emulat ... tml#browse


Top
 Post subject: Re: Dreamy Photo Effects like Luca Venter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:46 pm  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 01, 2013
Posts: 7
Those tutorials are great, acmespace. Here's a picture I took of my cat Honey with my iPhone. I applied a bokeh layer and motion blurred it for the overlay. I also applied a film grain filter. I think it does have a bit of a dreamy quality.


Attachments:
Honey Cat_2.jpg
Honey Cat_2.jpg [ 168.06 KiB | Viewed 4836 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: Dreamy Photo Effects like Luca Venter
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:31 am  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
pretty cat, looks like he is waiting for his supper.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Dreamy Photo Effects like Luca Venter
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:01 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 01, 2013
Posts: 7
Haha yes! I love my kitty.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group