It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 6:17 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:43 am  (#21) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
mackenzieh wrote:
Norseman 143,
I use both applications. What I can't do in gimp in terms of effects, I can do in paint.net. The only thing I would want for it, is a single window option. Gimp has that option, where as paint.net does not.

could be useful for the gimp-chatters to know which effects could be obtained in Paint-Net not (yet) available on Gimp, we may learn new effects

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:14 pm  (#22) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 22, 2015
Posts: 234
mackenzieh wrote:
Norseman 143,
I use both applications. What I can't do in gimp in terms of effects, I can do in paint.net. The only thing I would want for it, is a single window option. Gimp has that option, where as paint.net does not.

I played around with it for a while and couldnt really find anything extraordinary about it
I like to try different programs, just to see how they compare with Gimp

I have tried Inkscape, Photoscape and have blender, (isnt really a paint program) and see what they can do

I had a program on my old PC that did have some effects that gimp doesnt have but I cant remember the name of it
I have Gmic and Gimp extensions, which gives me so many plugins and options, that its mind boggling
But its still fun to try out some of the little guys


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:16 pm  (#23) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Try MyPaint

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:45 pm  (#24) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 06, 2013
Posts: 2663
Location: California
dinasset wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:
Norseman 143,
I use both applications. What I can't do in gimp in terms of effects, I can do in paint.net. The only thing I would want for it, is a single window option. Gimp has that option, where as paint.net does not.

could be useful for the gimp-chatters to know which effects could be obtained in Paint-Net not (yet) available on Gimp, we may learn new effects


Diego, there's a lot of effects. I can't explain them all, so I'll just give you the link to the paint.net forums:
http://forums.getpaint.net


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:00 pm  (#25) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 22, 2015
Posts: 234
molly wrote:
Try MyPaint

I tried it and its a really well written program

Now if you havent tried it yet, you should try Photoscape
It works really well and easy to use
It has a few filters that I think are better than Gimp
I especially like there lens flair set up. It shows where the flair is on your image instead of a tiny box, like Gimps.
Its very simple to adjust the number of rays and thickness if the stars
It loads really fast unlike Gimp so it makes it easy to use with images youre using with Gimp

Its free, you should try it out


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:04 pm  (#26) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 22, 2015
Posts: 234
mackenzieh wrote:
dinasset wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:
Norseman 143,
I use both applications. What I can't do in gimp in terms of effects, I can do in paint.net. The only thing I would want for it, is a single window option. Gimp has that option, where as paint.net does not.

could be useful for the gimp-chatters to know which effects could be obtained in Paint-Net not (yet) available on Gimp, we may learn new effects


Diego, there's a lot of effects. I can't explain them all, so I'll just give you the link to the paint.net forums:
http://forums.getpaint.net

Most of the effects it has, can be found in either gimp or GMIC

I also couldnt get images to paste into each other, which I do a lot of
Maybe I just didnt do it right


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:34 am  (#27) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
mackenzieh wrote:
dinasset wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:
Norseman 143,
I use both applications. What I can't do in gimp in terms of effects, I can do in paint.net. The only thing I would want for it, is a single window option. Gimp has that option, where as paint.net does not.

could be useful for the gimp-chatters to know which effects could be obtained in Paint-Net not (yet) available on Gimp, we may learn new effects


Diego, there's a lot of effects. I can't explain them all, so I'll just give you the link to the paint.net forums:
http://forums.getpaint.net

thanks, but a forum is always a bit confusing for people who doesn't look there for a specific reason.
If you will I would prefer just to get from you info about two or three effects you use regularly on PaintNet.

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:54 am  (#28) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
Mackenzieh,
couild you be so nice to tell and show me 2-3 effects you get on PaintNet not available in Gimp?
As you have seen, me (as many others here) are prone to experiment (and implement when necessary) filters for Gimp; if there is a nice effect that could be simulated/cloned we may give a try.
Thanks

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:10 pm  (#29) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 06, 2013
Posts: 2663
Location: California
dinasset wrote:
Mackenzieh,
couild you be so nice to tell and show me 2-3 effects you get on PaintNet not available in Gimp?
As you have seen, me (as many others here) are prone to experiment (and implement when necessary) filters for Gimp; if there is a nice effect that could be simulated/cloned we may give a try.
Thanks


Diego,
You can add plugins like the tattersall plugin (that creates a plad like image), Trail, Trail 3d, 3d shape maker, random fill colors, random lines.. just to name a few.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:55 pm  (#30) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
did you evaluate all the possibilities of G'MIC?
sorry if you think that what I'm saying hereby is crude, but:
AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT SHOW HERE A VALID EXAMPLE (PICTURE BEFORE AND AFTER THE EFFECT) I WILL IGNORE ANY FURTHER REFERENCE TO PAINT.NET
I thought I was clear enough in my previous posts, but you continue ignoring them and invite me to analyze Paint.Net (look here, look there....).
Once for ever: I do not want to search myself what is better than Gimp in Paint.Net: if you have something to show and evaluate, fine, I will try to evaluate, otherwise question is closed for me.

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:19 pm  (#31) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 06, 2013
Posts: 2663
Location: California
dinasset wrote:
did you evaluate all the possibilities of G'MIC?
sorry if you think that what I'm saying hereby is crude, but:
AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT SHOW HERE A VALID EXAMPLE (PICTURE BEFORE AND AFTER THE EFFECT) I WILL IGNORE ANY FURTHER REFERENCE TO PAINT.NET
I thought I was clear enough in my previous posts, but you continue ignoring them and invite me to analyze Paint.Net (look here, look there....).
Once for ever: I do not want to search myself what is better than Gimp in Paint.Net: if you have something to show and evaluate, fine, I will try to evaluate, otherwise question is closed for me.


Diego, I'm not saying that one is better than the other. I'm just giving my opinion of both and that I use both, that's all.. not that you have to use either of them and there was no need to be snippy towards me.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:21 pm  (#32) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 06, 2013
Posts: 2663
Location: California
A Poker Chip:
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:28 pm  (#33) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14222
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
mackenzieh wrote:
A Poker Chip:
[ Image ]

Getting ready for a big game mackenzieh? :hehe

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:31 pm  (#34) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 06, 2013
Posts: 2663
Location: California
Wallace wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:
A Poker Chip:
[ Image ]

Getting ready for a big game mackenzieh? :hehe


LOL! I wish! :)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:25 am  (#35) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 13, 2018
Posts: 270
Location: Oregon, USA
mackenzieh wrote:
I'm not sure if this free application has been mentioned here yet, so I'll give it a go. Along with GIMP I also use Paint.net. It is a free application that works well for me. In the time I've been using it, I haven't experienced any bugs. You can find it here: http://www.getpaint.net/

So far, the only version that I know of is 3.5.10. I've been using it for a while ... when I had XP. I'm pretty sure this program works on both Macs & PCs.

The only thing that bugs me about this program is that when it loads, everything opens in separate windows. Single Windows mode isn't an option yet.

Give it a shot and let me know what you think of it. :)


I've used paint.net for years before I ran across GIMP.
It's an excellent program to introduce a newbie to graphics imaging.
The big thing I liked about it was the way I could make gold rings (see my avatar).
I've not been able to accomplish gold rings in GIMP as I did in pdn.
Here's a close up of my avatar.
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:41 am  (#36) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 06, 2013
Posts: 2663
Location: California
Wow! I really like it. That looks amazing, Peter. :)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:21 pm  (#37) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 13, 2018
Posts: 270
Location: Oregon, USA
@mackenzieh
Just wanted to show the gold ring I use to make in PdN.
When I was new to GIMP I couldn't figure out how to achieve this but now I am able to do this in GIMP.

Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:03 pm  (#38) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 15, 2017
Posts: 1837
Paint.NET is pretty good, I've been using it for years. I like a few filters for it like Laplacian Pyramid, etc. Paint. NET is absolutely no match for Gimp however, even in gold.

Gimp gold:

Attachment:
Peace_Gold.jpg
Peace_Gold.jpg [ 192.81 KiB | Viewed 3064 times ]


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:39 pm  (#39) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 13, 2018
Posts: 270
Location: Oregon, USA
@racer-x:
I would love to know how you made that shiny look.
It's an incredible effect.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Paint.net
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:37 pm  (#40) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 15, 2017
Posts: 1837
I used Bevel Reflect Logo filter with a certain E-Map in my collection. This one might be more of what you want though. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9677&start=550#p225528


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group