It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:25 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:44 am  (#41) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12849
That's a crazy wonderful result PM. Again, I do wish that you can import various contours into GIMP and map textures to them. I know you have the Map filter, but there is only so many cylinders, boxs, and spheres befor that gets old. G'MIC doesn't appear (at least the GIMP interface) map texture to surfaces that well either. I really like (though limited) how this program makes childs play the application to texture on surfaces. So fast too; pretty much real time manipulation of the sculpture to boot. Again, I haven't even looked at Bender yet; maybe its as easy to work with as this program, but I doubt it. :)

edit:

Why not another one for the ladies. Got the texture here: http://my.deviantart.com/messages/#/d38c0el

Now I need to figure out what to do for Groundhog's Day. lol

:)


Attachments:
sh.jpg
sh.jpg [ 428.68 KiB | Viewed 4596 times ]

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image
Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:43 am  (#42) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
Now Deviantart ask to login to access
too bad...and i even forgot my DA pw

Anyway a bad surprise from DA

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:59 am  (#43) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12849
Sorry to hear about your woes PC. Believe there should be a password retrieval interface (most sites have them) where you tell the wizard interface that you want it emailed too you. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:37 pm  (#44) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
It must be something with DA. I can't log in to my DA account and when I told it to send me my password it said it could take 5 minutes. 20 minutes and several attempts to get my password have failed. Oh well.

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:50 pm  (#45) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 19, 2010
Posts: 376
Location: North Central Ohio, USA
I got right into my DA account this morning, but I have Firefox set to remember passwords.

_________________
Life Truth: #12
My cat is a worst typist than I am.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:55 pm  (#46) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
I re-wrote part of the file and it works well. The re-write adds spaces for 5 new textures. Right now it's using the same 1 for all 5 textures, but I will share it when I'm done testing it. This is the selection window and a test using my texture.


Attachments:
Texture Selector.jpg
Texture Selector.jpg [ 186 KiB | Viewed 4580 times ]
My Texture Test.jpg
My Texture Test.jpg [ 345.29 KiB | Viewed 4580 times ]

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.
Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:15 pm  (#47) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12849
Would really like those parameters Greg (oops; I mean PM; lol). As a side note, I'm not having any issue at all accessing my Deviant account. Not sure what's going on over there. I know Sourceforge has been buggy of late. G'MIC now downloads and was able to open the Zip file (didn't test the embedded files inside the zip) now, but the file downloaded at 28K/second; way too slow for me (albeit faster then dialup's 5.6K/second; lol). Not sure of the other programs yet. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:10 pm  (#48) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
Here is the modified tcl file with demo gif and ppm files. I renamed the original tcl file and included it in the zip. The files "generator.tcl" and "generator.tcl.old" file go into the bin folder. The ppm and gif files get added to the images folder. You can replace the 5 new gif and ppm files with your own.

Please let me know what you think.


Attachments:
generator extras.zip [518.6 KiB]
Downloaded 293 times

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.
Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:45 pm  (#49) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12849
Script works great; thanks a heap PM. :)


Attachments:
new_menu.png
new_menu.png [ 174.11 KiB | Viewed 5050 times ]

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image
Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:11 pm  (#50) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
Looks good! I may end up adding another row of textures and some more background images too.

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:35 pm  (#51) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12849
I know David's been buzy with the Sourceforge fiasco, but I do hope he sees this thread and maybe see if G'MIC can do these. Copy/Paste as bitmap isn't what I would like to do and not sure if I really want to learn blender just so I can use the stl files with it. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:22 pm  (#52) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
Bob63 wrote:
I got right into my DA account this morning, but I have Firefox set to remember passwords.

Still can't get into DA and DA still won't send me my @#$%!%$@ password!!!

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:37 pm  (#53) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 19, 2010
Posts: 376
Location: North Central Ohio, USA
PhotoMaster wrote:
Still can't get into DA and DA still won't send me my @#$%!%$@ password!!!
Wow, that sucks. Not trying to make you feel bad, but I've been able to access my account there again since I posted earlier. Very odd that you can't get in.

_________________
Life Truth: #12
My cat is a worst typist than I am.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:52 pm  (#54) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 29, 2010
Posts: 711
Location: Netherlands
I tried it too.(sculpture generator)
Since I don't have Windows had to use wine.
Stumbled upon a nice GUI to use Wine: q4wine.
http://q4wine.brezblock.org.ua/document ... steps.html
I had to recompile my kernel though because it wants "fuse" enabled.
Too bad I can't save the files in a format that Gimp recognizes.
I wonder if it's not possible to achieve the same with the many filters available in Gimp.
Gerard.

_________________
Gentoo Linux always up-to-date.
Kernel-3.17.4 Python-2.7.8/3.3.5
Gimp-2.8.14

I use Linux only.
And Virtualbox with Win 7


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:40 pm  (#55) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16175
I have access to my Deviant Art account also, no problems at all.
I also have FireFox set to remember passwords, maybe that's the difference.
That is weird though.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:48 pm  (#56) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16175
PhotoMaster wrote:
Here is the modified tcl file with demo gif and ppm files. I renamed the original tcl file and included it in the zip. The files "generator.tcl" and "generator.tcl.old" file go into the bin folder. The ppm and gif files get added to the images folder. You can replace the 5 new gif and ppm files with your own.

Please let me know what you think.


Works excellent for me too PM!
Thanks. :)

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:48 pm  (#57) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12849
gerard82 wrote:
I tried it too.(sculpture generator)
Since I don't have Windows had to use wine.
Stumbled upon a nice GUI to use Wine: q4wine.
http://q4wine.brezblock.org.ua/document ... steps.html
I had to recompile my kernel though because it wants "fuse" enabled.
Too bad I can't save the files in a format that Gimp recognizes.
I wonder if it's not possible to achieve the same with the many filters available in Gimp.
Gerard.


I didn't directly ask David (G'MIC), but did add a wishlist entry concerning this. G'MIC can do 3D; not sure if can manipulate stl files though. I know it can do mimimal surfaces (like the gyroid; David made a preset just for me a few months ago). Mapping textures to surfaces is another story; not happy with G'MICs results as I am with this little program. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:16 pm  (#58) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 19, 2010
Posts: 376
Location: North Central Ohio, USA
I think G'MIC could do the whole thing, if the interface is built. I was thinking on this earlier and using the molten gold texture made this from the 3D object "Weird":


Attachments:
gmic-weird.png
gmic-weird.png [ 310.77 KiB | Viewed 4797 times ]

_________________
Life Truth: #12
My cat is a worst typist than I am.
Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:14 am  (#59) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Posts: 4050
Thanks Lyle for sharing this gem, and PM for modifying the tcl file. Is there a limit to how many additional patterns you can add? I tried to add another 5 and thought I had all the bases covered, but it threw errors.

Anyway, it's been fun playing with the generator.

Image

_________________
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:55 am  (#60) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12849
Wow; love that drift wood texture Mahvin; have a link to it? Again, I wish G'MIC would perspective texture like this program does, but it's probably just too much for a 2D app with some 3D capabilities to do. I'm still grateful that Schmiegel shared this one with me at his Deviant. This guy's stuff is nothing short of amazing by the way (as a side note, it was he who got me on my gyroid binge a while back). Linking his Deviant below. :)

http://my.deviantart.com/messages/#view ... 3A14463215

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group