It is currently Tue Oct 06, 2026 12:37 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Free Software for Books
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:22 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: May 26, 2014
Posts: 53
We are looking a free software for books. It is really a chore if you number every page 1-300 and a single font or spacing can lead to mistakes. So do you guys know of any book making free software to use? There are some free with a trial period and where looking for something that does not expire.


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Free Software for Books
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:42 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Posts: 5127
Location: Metro Vancouver, BC
Which formats of book do you need and which OS are you using?
Scribus is by far your best free choice. If you need ePub calibre includes a decent E-book editor. The calibre E-book editor is good for editing and conversion. The best free stand alone choice would be Sigil, it's a very good ePub editor and also mature. Sigil has paused/ending development but recently there has been some renewed development of Sigil.

_________________
Image
Gimp 2.8.18, Linux, median user
Gimp Chat Tutorials Index
Spirit Bear (Kermode)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Free Software for Books
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:28 am  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 25, 2011
Posts: 914
Location: Mount Olive, North Carolina
It has a steep learning curve, but TeX/LaTeX is a good tool. I've used it myself for a variety of large-scale projects, including full books.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Free Software for Books
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:45 pm  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 28, 2012
Posts: 3060
Location: Idk where I am.
I have scribus but I haven't used it much I lost interest in ever book I started. :lol

_________________
Image
Reality is a lovely place...But I wouldn't wanna live there.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group