It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 5:25 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: How to set up your Gimp to accept apng format
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:23 pm  (#21) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 03, 2011
Posts: 149
Oh right, I take it the one you posted http://www.box.com/shared/vjk6f3ajgbtolp8876p2 was for an older version of GIMP, that's a shame.

Edit: I found a version which installs fine here http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-apng/ no error messages and manages to come up with animation option whens saving but doesn't seem to actually make it an animation at least not one I can playback after saving.

Image
That should be a 2 layer animation and I ticked save as animation but nothing.
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to set up your Gimp to accept apng format
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:02 pm  (#22) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
The one by JamesH is the other 2.7 4 version of Gimp. I don't think that one works either. We need one for 2.6.11

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to set up your Gimp to accept apng format
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:15 pm  (#23) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 03, 2011
Posts: 149
Ah well then back to the start yeah one for 2.6.11 would be great. Hopefully when 2.8 is out there will be one for it.


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to set up your Gimp to accept apng format
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:40 pm  (#24) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
It is very easy to install if you have the correct one Jamie. there are so many, I have lost track.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to set up your Gimp to accept apng format
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:10 pm  (#25) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 15, 2011
Posts: 129
You might try this one Molly. Working for me.
Click here > For gimp 2.6.11
Both go in your .Gimp 2.6\plug ins dir. Please let me know.
Thanks


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to set up your Gimp to accept apng format in Windows
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:32 pm  (#26) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Thanks Slide but for some reason it didn't work.

Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to set up your Gimp to accept apng format in Windows
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:27 pm  (#27) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 03, 2011
Posts: 149
That is the one I've been trying but it doesn't actually save a playable animation for some reason.


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to set up your Gimp to accept apng format in Windows
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:29 pm  (#28) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 15, 2011
Posts: 129
Maybe this isn't working how it is suppose to, but this is what I did. Was got a gif, png and jpg. Saved each one as png+apng all to a separate dir. Then Opened as Layers
Then went to Filters > Animation > Playback. They all came up.
Click here > Working?
Isn't this what is to happen?
Thanks


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to set up your Gimp to accept apng format in Windows
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:13 pm  (#29) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16200
Actually the version i used in Parthas newest release is the Gimp-2.6.11 version.
You have to remove the old file-png.exe from the gimp-2.0/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins folder , and place the new one in along with the new ui file.Place the old file-png.exe in another directory for safe keeping.

Restart Gimp
Too create a png animation create any amount of layers - save as (png-apng)
Select animation and the file is saved.
To open a png animation open as png-apng and the file will open as layers.

See my other post Partha gave you for more information.


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to set up your Gimp to accept apng format
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:41 pm  (#30) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Rod wrote:
2-ton wrote:
I just tried this out...so far no luck as when I reopen gimp I get a strange message about not finding something in lib. gimp works ok, but does not show the choice for apng in the save as menu. Maybe it's because I haven't upgraded beyond 2.4. One of these days, I will do it.
The exe file icon looks normal, but the ui file icon looks different than the rest of the files in the plug ins folder???


same exact problem i had at first...do this
create an image with oh 25 frames and click save...look at the bottom of your save dialog and click open the file extensions drop down window...click on png+apng extension in the list...should be there if you have the plugin in the plugins folder with the ui file.

now a window will open when you click save that says your image is the wrong extension...save anyways.
close the image in GIMP...reopen it doing the same way...choose the png+apng file extension in the save dialog..at the bottom...the image will open as an animation with all layers intact...

worked for me =)

good luck


that isn't a solution though, just a way of opening it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to set up your Gimp to accept apng format in Windows
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:16 pm  (#31) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 15, 2011
Posts: 129
Rod wrote:
Actually the version i used in Parthas newest release is the Gimp-2.6.11 version.

Hey Rod. Do you have a link to the newest 2.6.11 version? I don't see it at Parthas, or am I missing it? Went all of the way back to February 19, 2011
Thanks.


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to set up your Gimp to accept apng format in Windows
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:29 pm  (#32) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Feb 18, 2011
Posts: 4826
Location: Bendigo Vic. Australia
apng works in my 2.6.11. but I do not remember where I got my files from (Rod I think) so I am posting copies for you, just take out png and install the 2 files in it's place then restart gimp.

Image

Attachment:
apng files 2.6.11.zip [296.48 KiB]
Downloaded 231 times

_________________
Image
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to set up your Gimp to accept apng format in Windows
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:43 pm  (#33) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Graechan, I tried your apng and I got the same message again that I did in my above post. Oh well, Partha's version works, I will use it.
thanks.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to set up your Gimp to accept apng format in Windows
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:08 pm  (#34) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 15, 2011
Posts: 129
molly wrote:
Graechan, I tried your apng and I got the same message again that I did in my above post. Oh well, Partha's version works, I will use it.
thanks.

The files that Graechan sent are the same I've been using too. No errors, but doesn't work like I thought it was suppose to. Where did you get yours Molly? Are the files here?
Thanks


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to set up your Gimp to accept apng format in Windows
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:11 pm  (#35) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 15, 2011
Posts: 129
Graechan wrote:
apng works in my 2.6.11. but I do not remember where I got my files from (Rod I think) so I am posting copies for you, just take out png and install the 2 files in it's place then restart gimp.

Image

Attachment:
apng files 2.6.11.zip

Thanks Graechan, but these are the files I've been trying to get working all day, but no go.


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to set up your Gimp to accept apng format in Windows
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:54 pm  (#36) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Feb 18, 2011
Posts: 4826
Location: Bendigo Vic. Australia
Slide when you say no go what do you mean e.g. what part is not working

_________________
Image
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to set up your Gimp to accept apng format in Windows
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:03 pm  (#37) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 15, 2011
Posts: 129
Maybe I don't know the steps to export them. I bring up 3, or 4 layers and save them as test.png. It saves (1 frame)with nothing as far as save as animation. What are the steps please?
Thanks


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to set up your Gimp to accept apng format in Windows
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:14 pm  (#38) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 14, 2011
Posts: 998
Slide wrote:
Maybe I don't know the steps to export them. I bring up 3, or 4 layers and save them as test.png. It saves (1 frame)with nothing as far as save as animation. What are the steps please?
Thanks

Slide,

If you use my version, it's all automatic. And no, I don't provide it anymore as a built in plugin since there were issues with the png extension.


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to set up your Gimp to accept apng format in Windows
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:35 pm  (#39) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 15, 2011
Posts: 129
partha wrote:
Slide,
If you use my version, it's all automatic. And no, I don't provide it anymore as a built in plugin since there were issues with the png extension.

Thanks partha, so where can I find yours?


Top
 Post subject: Re: How to set up your Gimp to accept apng format in Windows
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:02 pm  (#40) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 14, 2011
Posts: 998
Slide wrote:
partha wrote:
Slide,
If you use my version, it's all automatic. And no, I don't provide it anymore as a built in plugin since there were issues with the png extension.

Thanks partha, so where can I find yours?

Go with what Rod provided. Are you in a position to update to Gimp 2.7.5? If not, just use the portable version and see if it works for you.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group