It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:31 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:29 am  (#61) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 17, 2014
Posts: 1572
telperion wrote:
UPDATE
i removed my gap package. and install the 2.6.0 from the distribution.
2.6.0 is broken, modify frame - apply filter on layers don't create the in-between files, only start and end, so filters - filter all layers.
Don't waste time, you are not stupid, gap 2.6.0 is broken...


I also removed my old gap version and tried to install the one from the link.
Didn't succeed at all :bluesad
Thanks for letting me now. No more time wasting.

And thank God, I'm not stupid :lol: :lol:

_________________
Ella's gallery - YouTube


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:36 am  (#62) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Oct 11, 2014
Posts: 82
Ella Louise wrote:

I also removed my old gap version and tried to install the one from the link.
Didn't succeed at all :bluesad
Thanks for letting me now. No more time wasting.

And thank God, I'm not stupid :lol: :lol:


:lol:

Sadly the link is for gap source code, it need to builded for your operating system...


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:00 am  (#63) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 04, 2015
Posts: 1477
Thanks for the tut ccbarr. Its pretty well known that the 'Jurassic' Gimp-GAP package has serious problems in the map to object function.
It's also getting difficult (if not impossible) to compile on recent versions of most operating systems.

I wish the main developer would get in front of a computer running Gimp 2.8 or later.
He's probably a genius and lives in a wilderness area and I fear he has been taken by a grizzly bear.
Who knows what happens to the really great developers?


MathMap is also in a similar decline while the underlying operating systems are under constant development.
Eventually these tools break and we look around at combinations that did work.

At least we have the opportunity to do art.
When a petrol tanker rolls over I don't rush out with a fuel can and a packet of Marlboros because I don't smoke.
I've also discovered the fade-in-out option..... :gimp


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:11 am  (#64) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 10, 2013
Posts: 1442
Location: Finland
Yeah would be nice if it worked on 2.8

Image

There's still use for 2.6.12! Didn't need tutorial anymore, the steps are burnt into my brain forever! :hehe


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:00 am  (#65) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Oct 11, 2014
Posts: 82
Nidhogg wrote:
Yeah would be nice if it worked on 2.8

There's still use for 2.6.12!


So gap 2.6.0 work fine with gimp 2.6 and not with gimp 2.8.
It's crazy, because the gap code in git, it's available from many months,
and work fine with gimp 2.8 and so with 2.9.5 (with 2.9.5 no set final position), but nobody build the package...

I built it by myself.

Quote:
Didn't need tutorial anymore, the steps are burnt into my brain forever! :hehe


:lol: :lol:

Attachment:
eu3.gif
eu3.gif [ 254.15 KiB | Viewed 3345 times ]


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:42 pm  (#66) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Oct 11, 2014
Posts: 82
Same tecnique
rezize map pic 400x400
new image 400x400
duplicate image 19 (20 frames)
path move
map to obj -> sphere -> y rotation to 20 frame (1-10)(0 180) (11-20)(-162 -18)

Attachment:
planet.gif
planet.gif [ 395.38 KiB | Viewed 3337 times ]

only a test don't look the image quality


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:56 pm  (#67) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 04, 2015
Posts: 1477
Hi telperion,
Quote:
It's crazy, because the gap code in git, it's available from many months,

When I look at the GAP github page, https://github.com/GNOME/gimp-gap
I see the 'Readme' file is 2 years old and the last commits were translations into Spanish.

Here is the last GAP 2.7 for Ubuntu. It's 7 years old!
https://answers.launchpad.net/~groetsch ... hive-extra
There is a PPA here:
https://launchpad.net/~matthaeus123/+ar ... w-gimp-svn

I found if GAP map to object has to use the Gimp map to object it will run into a maths error.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15651

Good on you for compiling your own, its nearly as good as using gimp. You are also turning out the gold coins like the federal mint :mrgreen:


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:37 am  (#68) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Oct 11, 2014
Posts: 82
Tas_mania wrote:
Hi telperion,
Quote:
It's crazy, because the gap code in git, it's available from many months,

When I look at the GAP github page, https://github.com/GNOME/gimp-gap
I see the 'Readme' file is 2 years old and the last commits were translations into Spanish.

Here is the last GAP 2.7 for Ubuntu. It's 7 years old!
https://answers.launchpad.net/~groetsch ... hive-extra
There is a PPA here:
https://launchpad.net/~matthaeus123/+ar ... w-gimp-svn

I found if GAP map to object has to use the Gimp map to object it will run into a maths error.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15651


the ppa is jurassic too. :hehe

the official git is here:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp-gap/

in the master log
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp-gap/log/
many commits as translations
but also
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp-gap/c ... 6123c89fc3
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp-gap/c ... 3cc07f3551
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp-gap/c ... 3fd003096b
for example

so if you build the master you have a full work gimp-gap for gimp 2.8

Quote:
Good on you for compiling your own, its nearly as good as using gimp. You are also turning out the gold coins like the federal mint :mrgreen:


:lol: :lol:


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:07 am  (#69) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Oct 11, 2014
Posts: 82
A little consideration about the tutorial.

Why break the work in two part (frames 1-30, frames 31-60)?!
You can modify frames 1-60
and set Z rotation -180 at start and 174 at end, and obtain the same results with less work.

If you don't like the animation start with the back side,
before modify, rotate 180 degree the front side level and the back side level in xcf file,
then map back side to the cilinder top, and front side to cilinder bottom.

If you want less frames, es duplicate 19 (20 frames)
z rotation start = -180
z rotation end = 180 - (360/20) = 162

revert the value 180 and -162 to turn the coin in opposite side.

Attachment:
20fr_180to-162.gif
20fr_180to-162.gif [ 158.51 KiB | Viewed 3284 times ]


or you can use the image - reverse/mirror layers - reverse filter from animstack plugin

Attachment:
reverse.gif
reverse.gif [ 158.35 KiB | Viewed 3284 times ]


or you can mirror

Attachment:
mirror.gif
mirror.gif [ 296.46 KiB | Viewed 3283 times ]


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:02 am  (#70) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 04, 2015
Posts: 1477
Hi telperion,
I will have another go at compiling gimp-gap.

I've run into a problem with Master Videoencoder.
If I convert a 36 frame animation to .avi and then convert that .avi into a .gif I only get 33 frames.
I'm losing frames, and I believe both operations should have the same number of frames.
Maybe I'm using a wrong setting or it's a gimp-gap bug.
I haven't found out yet.
Cheers.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:10 am  (#71) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 17, 2014
Posts: 1572
But it can't still be done in Gimp 2.8, telperion ?
I can't follow all the explanation. It's too difficult for me.

_________________
Ella's gallery - YouTube


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:31 am  (#72) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Oct 11, 2014
Posts: 82
Ella Louise wrote:
But it can't still be done with Gimp 2.8, telperion ?
I can't follow all the explanation. It's too difficult for me.


Only manually.
example:
open the xcf
create new 400x400 transparent pic
save blabla_0001.xcf
duplicate frames 15 (16 frames)
move path like tutorial
then:
video - frame to image
select the lower frame (blabla_0001)
filter - map - map to object
cylinder - transparent - tile source image
same tutorial settings
but orientation
x 90
z 0

ok

then select next frames 0002
ctrl+shift-f (reshow last filter)
and add 22.5 to z rotation (360/num_frames) z 22.5 (not sure could be 360/(num_frames+1))
ok

net frames 003
ctrl+shift-f (reshow last filter)
and add 22.5 to z rotation (360/num_frames) z 45

ok

and again until the last frame 00016

I know, very tedious, you are not stupid but..... you can go crazy...
:lol:


Last edited by telperion on Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:36 am  (#73) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Oct 11, 2014
Posts: 82
Tas_mania wrote:
Hi telperion,
I will have another go at compiling gimp-gap.

I've run into a problem with Master Videoencoder.
If I convert a 36 frame animation to .avi and then convert that .avi into a .gif I only get 33 frames.
I'm losing frames, and I believe both operations should have the same number of frames.
Maybe I'm using a wrong setting or it's a gimp-gap bug.
I haven't found out yet.
Cheers.


i'm using gap only for import frames from video, never used the "orrible" Master Videoencoder
I can try.

UPDATE
same here convert 18 frames to avi, imported from saved avi only 16 frames.
There is a leak!!! Call the plumber!
:lol:


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:09 am  (#74) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 17, 2014
Posts: 1572
telperion wrote:

I know, very tedious, you are not stupid but..... you can go crazy...
:lol:


I almost am :crash
:lol: :lol:

Thanks for the further explanation, I will try it.

But not today ...

_________________
Ella's gallery - YouTube


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:41 am  (#75) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Oct 11, 2014
Posts: 82
Now that I understand how gap work, there are many others effects to make.
example blur on 2 different layers:

Attachment:
focus.gif
focus.gif [ 996.47 KiB | Viewed 3990 times ]


but what's the point to record a tutorial video if nobody have a full working gimp-gap?


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:12 pm  (#76) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 17, 2014
Posts: 1572
Finally... :yes

Image

:tyspin telperion!

_________________
Ella's gallery - YouTube


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:52 pm  (#77) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Oct 11, 2014
Posts: 82
Ella ...
but not today?
:lol:
nice work.

101 euros for your patience...
:lol:
Attachment:
101.gif
101.gif [ 752.13 KiB | Viewed 3975 times ]


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:08 am  (#78) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 17, 2014
Posts: 1572
telperion wrote:
Ella ...
but not today?
:lol:


:oops: :lol:

You said: You can go crazy.
I wanted to avoid that :)
And thank you for the euros.

telperion wrote:
Now that I understand how gap work, there are many others effects to make.


Maybe you can read this tutorials also by ccbarr.
Very good explanation, I think.
But "that goes beyond my hats".

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1609
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5892
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2947

_________________
Ella's gallery - YouTube


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:18 am  (#79) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Oct 11, 2014
Posts: 82
Ella
:tyspin
for the links


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spinning Gimp Coin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:12 am  (#80) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Oct 11, 2014
Posts: 82
Tas_mania wrote:
Hi telperion,
Quote:
It's crazy, because the gap code in git, it's available from many months,

When I look at the GAP github page, https://github.com/GNOME/gimp-gap
I see the 'Readme' file is 2 years old and the last commits were translations into Spanish.



i've search in bugzilla and found:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=749290
in 2015-05-14 (2 years ago)
Quote:
Note that the GIT master was still compatible with the older GIMP-2.6.x releases
until 2015.05.14, but since this date it has been updated to the level of
the gap-2-8 branch.
Note that GIT master is now intended for further updates
to follow GIMP-2.9.x and later API changes.


So the packagers builders have to build the 2.8 branch with gimp 2.8, but they don't...
Now master and 2.8 gap branches are the same.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group