It is currently Tue Oct 06, 2026 1:25 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Focused Critique (for quality feedback)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:23 am  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Posts: 2089
Location: US
Ocean sunset

The only real thing in this animation is the sky image, the shot I took in St.Petersburg, Florida past January.
Everything else is a fake made with Blender. I can't say much of an effort was put into this work, and I did not
follow any of the tutorials and there was a lot of things I had to figure out by myself.

I welcome your comments on what you DON'T like in my work.
Skies, ocean, lens glare, overall animation, whatever.

There is a lot of room for improvement, so feel free to give your honest opinion.

href="http://vimeo.com/user9542890">K1TesseraEna</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Thanks!


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Focused Critique (for quality feedback)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:17 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 09, 2011
Posts: 726
Oh K1TesseraEna!, Is a scene that gives a lot of peace. Beautiful.

Two things. If glares are moving I understand that this means that the light source or camera are moving. And both seem static in the scene. Secondly, the surface of the water is very clean, no impurities or foam floating in it. I think with a bit of impurity and perhaps also with small dots that reflect sunlight in a different direction (like sand, but not so extreme) would be better.

How have you achieved the effect of the camera lens flares? I have seen that there is a script out there, but I'm still far from knowing how to use it.

_________________
Image
Be patient, English is not my language.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Focused Critique (for quality feedback)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:49 pm  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Posts: 2089
Location: US
Thanks YAFU!

Yes, camera is moving (mostly up and then down sharply - almost diving at the end) this is why lens glares move too.
I used camera constraint fixed to the infinite point. Glares is the combination of script and compositor node editing.
As for adding some realistic imperfections like foam and bubbles, I have the actual footage in the Gulf of Mexico made last
January about 1 mile off shore, and there was no foam. Sometimes wave crests create splashes of water but that would be
impossible task for Blender. That's something that would require RealFlow's Hybrido particle simulator.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Focused Critique (for quality feedback)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:59 pm  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 10, 2013
Posts: 863
K1t
I'm sorry ... but unfortunately found it very good your animation, I found nothing that I disliked.
The feeling is of being inside a canoe.

I noticed that between the second 10s and 11s, it seems that the wave recedes strangely. At the very end of the video.

As Yafu said: "If I understand glares are moving que que this means the light source or camera are moving. And Both seem static in the scene." But I liked that effect anyway.

A great image for screen saver! :clap :jumpclap :bigthup :coolthup

_________________
bbbbbbbbbbbImage
bbbbbbbbbbb Be patient, English is not my language.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Focused Critique (for quality feedback)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:02 pm  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 27, 2012
Posts: 393
Location: England
First off the swell of the ocean is very convincing. Toward the end of the animation it almost appears as if it is about to pour out off the screen. I love the movement off the waves too. I wouldn't change any of the sea animation as it works perfect from my point of view.
Why the glare from the sun is tracking across the image is a mystery to me, there is nothing about the image that suggests that the flare should be behaving in this way. The effect itself though works well.
The sky is static and not overly interesting. Maybe more of a twilight feel to it and some twinkling stars might look better. In my opinion the sky is too plain for such a smooth flowing image.
At the end of the day this is a good piece of work and my comments are about small niggles that I've found.

_________________
Image

DeviantArt gallery


Top
 Post subject: Re: Focused Critique (for quality feedback)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:09 pm  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Posts: 2089
Location: US
Akros wrote:
[
I noticed that between the second 10s and 11s, it seems that the wave recedes strangely. At the very end of the video.



Thanks for your feedback, Akros!

Yes, you're right about that. I've noticed that only after seeing the final render. I have no explanation for this phenomenon,
but somehow wave movement kind of froze on 11th second. This 'effect' continues up to 14:00 second of the video, that's why i faded it out.
Blender must have decided not to render past 10:30 second by some reason. I know that it was not my mistake.
Maybe a bug. I'll have to investigate further.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Focused Critique (for quality feedback)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:15 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Posts: 2089
Location: US
Caz wrote:
First off the swell of the ocean is very convincing. Toward the end of the animation it almost appears as if it is about to pour out off the screen. I love the movement off the waves too. I wouldn't change any of the sea animation as it works perfect from my point of view.
Why the glare from the sun is tracking across the image is a mystery to me, there is nothing about the image that suggests that the flare should be behaving in this way. The effect itself though works well.
The sky is static and not overly interesting. Maybe more of a twilight feel to it and some twinkling stars might look better. In my opinion the sky is too plain for such a smooth flowing image.
At the end of the day this is a good piece of work and my comments are about small niggles that I've found.


Thank you for very detailed critique, Caz. I agree with almost everything you said.
I should have mentioned in the OP, that I tried to reproduce the actual footage. Lens glare does move across the screen
when camera is rotating bit in this scene my Blender camera does not (otherwise we would have seen the shift of the Sun position
relatively to center of camera view.

P.S. I think I can move the Sun position, it's doable in Blender, thanks again Caz!


Top
 Post subject: Re: Focused Critique (for quality feedback)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:49 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb 14, 2013
Posts: 462
Location: Stockholm
Very good. Maybe little bit to bright. Did you render with cycle. For how many days.
My Ocean sunset blendfile look like this.
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/22531

_________________
Late 2017 iMac Retina 4K 21,5 inch Mac OS High Sierra version 10.13.4
3,6 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB Ram 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphic card Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB
Affinity Photo and Affinity Designers.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Focused Critique (for quality feedback)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:32 pm  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Posts: 2089
Location: US
Lurifax73 wrote:
Very good. Maybe little bit to bright. Did you render with cycle. For how many days.
My Ocean sunset blendfile look like this.
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/22531


Days? No, it took about 1.5 hrs to render with internal Blender render.
Thanks for the blend file, i'll take a look.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Focused Critique (for quality feedback)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:04 am  (#10) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16197
Felt like i was floating in a raft. Very peaceful.
Only thing i thought looked a little wee bit faked was the glossiness of the water. Just seemed too shiny in my opinion. Oh and maybe darken the water color.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Focused Critique (for quality feedback)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:14 pm  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 16, 2012
Posts: 4271
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
k1tesseraena:your blender work just gets better and better. beautifully made animation and restful to look at. i have a question about the horizon: if i was standing up watching this scene i would see the far horizon and it would be a straight line, no matter if the waves were high where i was standing, but maybe that would be different if i was sitting in a boat, l0ower than the water? i'm so rarely out in boats i really don't know :). and you say you were looking at some real footage of the ocean, so maybe it's all as it should be?

_________________


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group