It is currently Wed Oct 07, 2026 4:36 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: PhotoMaster's Rubiks Cube Tutorial
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:01 pm  (#21) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
Mike wrote:
I have tried that however it continues to reproduce the same error. I am almost certain it is a conflict with a plugin or a script I added after the initial installation. The three I added were the FX-Foundry scripts, the Script-Fu layer effects and the Kward1979uk glass effects scripts. I suppose sense would dictate I remove those one by one and see if that resolves the issue. Then again, sense is not my strong suite.
I think your suspicions may be correct. I tried a 4x4 grid, even made the image larger (600x600px) to see if it would crash. It came out fine - no crash. Here's the 4x4 one I made plus I've attached the 4x4 xcf file if someone else would like to give it a try.

Image


Attachments:
rubik_4x4_grid.xcf [66.33 KiB]
Downloaded 244 times

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein
Top
 Post subject: Re: PhotoMaster's Rubiks Cube Tutorial
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:39 pm  (#22) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 31, 2010
Posts: 6
Hi Greg,

what a wonderful Tut - I have a question to you.

What's the name of the font in your Gimp themes?

Loves from Germany

Avarra :gimp

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: PhotoMaster's Rubiks Cube Tutorial
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:29 pm  (#23) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
I don't have that machine any more, but I think it might be comic sans.

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: PhotoMaster's Rubiks Cube Tutorial
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:24 am  (#24) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16197
Cant you change that in your gtkrc file by placing a style in there?
I think Saul showed me how to do that in another post somewhere...

Now where did we put that....ahh yes place this in your gtkrc file in your gimp 2.0 folder in user docs

style "gimp-default-style"
{
font_name = "sans 10"
}

But i believe you would want to change that to "comic-sans 10"


Top
 Post subject: Re: PhotoMaster's Rubiks Cube Tutorial
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:51 am  (#25) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16197
Scratch that it should look like this

style "gimp-default-style"
{
font_name = "comic sans ms 10"
}

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: PhotoMaster's Rubiks Cube Tutorial
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:02 am  (#26) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Posts: 4050
Nice! Thanks for the tutorial (yeah, you created this before I joined gimpchat). This was lots of fun, but for some reason my map object took 10 minutes to render a 480 x 480 image. Weird.

Image

_________________
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes


Top
 Post subject: Re: PhotoMaster's Rubiks Cube Tutorial
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:22 am  (#27) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
btw.

i still have the code for Map to Object with a maximized preview (about 5X the actual) for gimp 2.6 as for gimp 2.7 ;)
Just in case somebody wish compile his gimp as example to try the bleeding edge versions of 2.7 (once compiled i suppose that may be shared, at least on similar distro)

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
 Post subject: Re: PhotoMaster's Rubiks Cube Tutorial
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:20 am  (#28) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16197
PhotoComix wrote:
btw.

i still have the code for Map to Object with a maximized preview (about 5X the actual) for gimp 2.6 as for gimp 2.7 ;)
Just in case somebody wish compile his gimp as example to try the bleeding edge versions of 2.7 (once compiled i suppose that may be shared, at least on similar distro)


Maybe RobA will give it a go! :)
I would love to see a larger preview in IWARP, but you can get one by just selecting an area and opening IWARP.It gives you quite a nice large preview of the area you are editing.

Still it would be nice to be able to just open it and start working.Ah well back on subject ... sorry about that. :)


Top
 Post subject: Re: PhotoMaster's Rubiks Cube Tutorial
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:15 pm  (#29) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
Great intel guys!

@Oregonian - The quad idea is sweet!

@Mahvin - Hey Mahv! That is an awesome cube! Your original images are phenominal!

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: PhotoMaster's Rubiks Cube Tutorial
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:39 pm  (#30) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Posts: 4050
Thanks, Greg. I took those on Mount Hood, at Trillium Lake. Lots of sights to take in: flyfishing, ducks, canoers, etc.

_________________
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes


Top
 Post subject: Re: PhotoMaster's Rubiks Cube Tutorial
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:17 pm  (#31) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
A new addition to my bucket list! Trillium lake!

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: PhotoMaster's Rubiks Cube Tutorial
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:57 am  (#32) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 24, 2010
Posts: 504
Location: Western Vic Australia
Some time ago, I got persistent errors if one of the angles was very close to or exactly 90.degrees I think it had something to do with the trig functions of 90 degrees becoming close to zero or infinity. From memory it had something to do divide by zero errors. The problem is described in GimpTalk but I cant find it anymore. The error occurs on map to box. And perhaps this problem is now fixed .

I mention this because someone in this thread had the plug-in crash and I was just wondering if this may apply.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: PhotoMaster's Rubiks Cube Tutorial
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:41 am  (#33) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
wbool63 wrote:
Some time ago, I got persistent errors if one of the angles was very close to or exactly 90.degrees I think it had something to do with the trig functions of 90 degrees becoming close to zero or infinity.
Makes sense.
cos 90° = 0
tan 90° = Image

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Post subject: Re: PhotoMaster's Rubiks Cube Tutorial
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:29 pm  (#34) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
Yes. I remember getting errors at certain settings with map to object, but I can't remember what settings they were.

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: PhotoMaster's Rubiks Cube Tutorial
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:54 pm  (#35) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 20, 2010
Posts: 49
Where does the Rule Of Thirds script show up in the menus?


Top
 Post subject: Re: PhotoMaster's Rubiks Cube Tutorial
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:02 pm  (#36) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
The last one on my View menu.

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: PhotoMaster's Rubiks Cube Tutorial
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:50 am  (#37) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 20, 2010
Posts: 49
PhotoMaster wrote:
The last one on my View menu.


Thanks. This was fun to do. I was going to animate the box rotating 180 degrees but it does take a long time for Gimp to render the box each time. If I rotate 5 degrees per layer at @ 5 minutes per render thats over 2 hours of animating. Maybe I'll give it a try.


Attachments:
test.jpg
test.jpg [ 80.75 KiB | Viewed 3088 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: PhotoMaster's Rubiks Cube Tutorial
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:54 am  (#38) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16197
You could do some of those animation frames by doing 4 sides then copy them slightly rotated with the rotation tool.


Top
 Post subject: Re: PhotoMaster's Rubiks Cube Tutorial
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:19 am  (#39) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
Great cube! Andy Warhol would certainly love it!!

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: PhotoMaster's Rubiks Cube Tutorial
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:56 pm  (#40) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Dec 20, 2010
Posts: 49
Anyone ever get this messgae:

Plug-in crashed: "map-object.exe"
(C:\Program Files (x86)\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\map-object.exe)

The dying plug-in may have messed up GIMP's internal state. You may want to save your images and restart GIMP to be on the safe side.

It keeps coming up even after I restart Gimp. :(


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group