It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 3:17 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:48 pm  (#61) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Posts: 4050
I forgot where I found this, probably on http://www.cgtextures.com/

I sort of modified it for sculpture generator. I'll add it here.


Attachments:
wood.png
wood.png [ 178.69 KiB | Viewed 6552 times ]

_________________
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes
Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:21 pm  (#62) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
mahvin wrote:
Is there a limit to how many additional patterns you can add? I tried to add another 5 and thought I had all the bases covered, but it threw errors.

The code needs to be modified in a few places. I'll post something to say what I did and I will also be modding it to allow more patterns and backgrounds.

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:07 pm  (#63) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Posts: 4050
That's cool, PM. I didn't want to use up the existing patterns that came with it, because they can be useful. I did find that sometimes textures have an effect on the backgrounds, which is a bummer sometimes.

_________________
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:20 pm  (#64) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
I always use a solid color background that doesn't appear in the pattern, so I can cut the background out in Gimp later.

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:32 pm  (#65) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Man, the generator.tcl file has more goodies to to improve the result. Below is an excerpt from my interaction with Schmiegel:

Your result looks awesome!
But I did it differently:
I edited C:\SculptGen\Sculpture Generator\bin\generator.tcl using a text editor.
The sliders ranges are defined in these keys: "inlinescale $name.bot."
Values seem to be: Min, Max, Stepping
Thanks to Carlo H. Séquin for creating an open and editable app!


Attached is something I did using that info. I bumped up the number of branches and holes to 32 as well as increase the quality (grid detail) to 19 (originally tried 32, but it crashed after I hit 20; chose 19 so I know it won't crash; lol). Pretty cool that you can customize this cool interface even more and I just wanted to share that info with all you enthusiast of this cool program. :)

Attachment:
enhancements.png
enhancements.png [ 23.19 KiB | Viewed 6534 times ]


Attachments:
squishy.jpg
squishy.jpg [ 645.95 KiB | Viewed 6534 times ]

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image
Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:53 pm  (#66) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Posts: 4050
Awesome stuff, Lyle, thanks! :)

_________________
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:20 pm  (#67) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
Oooooh! More playing for me!!!

If the patterns we select are square (as opposed to rectangular), I wouldn't think they would effect the background.

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:22 pm  (#68) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
That is very pretty Lyle....

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:24 pm  (#69) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Posts: 4050
You ever get around to modding the tcl for more textures, PM? I tried finding every instance to add, and then I think I have everything covered, but then it throws errors. I'm probably missing something very simple.

_________________
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:35 pm  (#70) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
I just wish I knew how to tcl (don't think dirty thoughts folks; lol). I would create a subroutine to export my concoctions at whatever rez I feel happy. Looks like it could be added to this program since it is written in it.

To Mahvin; it crashed on me too when I tried to up the grid detail too high; 19 works fine. I've since upgraded the holes to 64 with no issues; bet you I could go higher. Still, I have it to where I like it; ain't broke don't fix it situation. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:43 pm  (#71) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Posts: 4050
Good news! I finally figured out my "simple" error and finally got the new texture buttons to display. Now I'm off to add even more, haha. I'll toss my additions into a zipped file and submit it later on, textures included.

_________________
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:24 pm  (#72) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Posts: 4050
Ok, first off, thanks to PM for leading the way on modding the tcl file. I've included 15 additional textures. If you liked PM's textures he used for default on the first mod, you'll have to swap names with those files with ones you want to replace from this new list.

I made one swap of a background image for testing purposes, the original was "curt_green", and I swapped it with my own "wicker1". The rest are original backgrounds.

Enjoy!

Thanks again to Lyle and PM...

The file was too big to attach on GimpChat (16.4 megs), so I will have to link to it here:

http://www.mahvin.com/images/sculptor_gen.zip (dead link)
Image

_________________
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:46 am  (#73) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16180
Very nice! Thanks Mahvin. :)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:34 am  (#74) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
mahvin wrote:
I forgot where I found this, probably on http://www.cgtextures.com/

I sort of modified it for sculpture generator. I'll add it here.


I love that wood texture mahvin. Here is some text I made from it.
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:00 am  (#75) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
I had no idea that the texture needn't be seamless to work. Now how cool is that? Sorry it took so long to try out your texture Mahvin. :)


Attachments:
rw_wreath.jpg
rw_wreath.jpg [ 355.05 KiB | Viewed 6379 times ]

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image
Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:20 pm  (#76) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Posts: 4050
That driftwood pattern really churns out well, doesn't it? I tend to use it alot when using the generator. So much fun!

_________________
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:29 pm  (#77) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
Mahvin, I downloaded your zip and will certainly check it out!

Hey Lyle, that looks totally awesome!

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:16 am  (#78) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 29, 2010
Posts: 711
Location: Netherlands
I am getting addicted to this program.
I rewrote the generator.tcl file to include all the new textures.
I got tired of the circular figures and made this.
Gerard.


Attachments:
schoorsteensettings.png
schoorsteensettings.png [ 32.8 KiB | Viewed 6350 times ]
schoorsteen.png
schoorsteen.png [ 502.89 KiB | Viewed 6351 times ]

_________________
Gentoo Linux always up-to-date.
Kernel-3.17.4 Python-2.7.8/3.3.5
Gimp-2.8.14

I use Linux only.
And Virtualbox with Win 7
Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:52 am  (#79) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
You are all impressing the heck out of me!

On the textures that I added, you can change the last four, as they're the same as the first with different color. The program lets you change the color, so they are redundant.

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Sculpture Generator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:48 pm  (#80) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
One for my love of Twizzlers:
Attachment:
Twizzler.jpg
Twizzler.jpg [ 136.84 KiB | Viewed 6346 times ]


And 4 views (reduced size) of one done with my smiley face brick wall.


Attachments:
TwistedSmilesSmall.jpg
TwistedSmilesSmall.jpg [ 511.19 KiB | Viewed 6346 times ]

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.
Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group