It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 4:10 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

Which one?
Form of Mac 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Form of Windows 48%  48%  [ 13 ]
Form of Linux 48%  48%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 27
Author Message
 Post subject: Who uses Linux? Apple? Windows?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:12 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
Well I am just wondering how this site is dispersed. Don't try and convince me to get Linux, because I use Linux (Edit: I have Vista this was a typing Error), I am just wondering what you guys use... I don't know that much about Linux, but from my basic knowledge I am thinking Linux is the name for all the different types? How Windows is for Vista, XP, 7, and so on...
Just vote for whichever ones you have, access too.
Thanks,
Willy

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Last edited by Willy on Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Who uses Linux? Apple? Windows?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:31 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
I use Windoze, and had used Mac in college. I am looking forward to using Linux soon.

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Who uses Linux? Apple? Windows?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:35 pm  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 27, 2010
Posts: 1510
Location: Sweden
@Willy
Yes, Linux is the joint name for operating systems using the Linux Kernel. On top of that, various groups then distribute different setups and systems and philosophies; these are referred to as distros, such as Ubuntu, Debian, RedHat etc.

I run Linux AptoSid (Debian SID with a stabilization layer) for all my serious work here.
.
Griatch

_________________


Top
 Post subject: Re: Who uses Linux? Apple? Windows?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:36 pm  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
Thanks for all the responses guys, I am just a curious sort of person, and Open Source GIMP apparently goes with Open Source Linux

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Top
 Post subject: Re: Who uses Linux? Apple? Windows?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:14 pm  (#5) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
Linux, Kubuntu to be specific.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Who uses Linux? Apple? Windows?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:25 pm  (#6) 
Offline
Former Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 17, 2010
Posts: 618
Location: Rockford, IL
Linux (Gnome Specifically)
and
Windows Vista (Gonna get the Asus Eee Slate, which uses Windows 7, once released, and when I get enough cash)

I'm gonna get a Macbook Pro (Hopefully from Lockerz Redemption, but when I get enough cash for that I'm also definately getting that, but the 15')


Top
 Post subject: Re: Who uses Linux? Apple? Windows?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:06 pm  (#7) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
I use Fedora Linux on my main computer and have Win7 & Fedora Linux on my laptop.

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Post subject: Re: Who uses Linux? Apple? Windows?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:10 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
99.9% Windows (that's why I selected it), but do take Linux GIMP (via VirtualBox VM) out when I have too (mainly for a few plugins that have no GIMP compile like MAZE5 (and I had to compile that one myself; not hard, but it uses it's own special compiler and not the normal one that GIMP likes for Linux) and occasionally I run Texturizer in Linux since it runs more stable then the Windows Version. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Who uses Linux? Apple? Windows?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:50 pm  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
I learned Gimp 2.4 on windows xp but have an new macbook and am re-learning Gimp 2.6 on osx. Not much difference in what I use Gimp for, but I haven't learned how to rummage around in the file system on the mac as well as I could on XP.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Who uses Linux? Apple? Windows?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:58 pm  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
Wow, I can't believe this forum is so diverse... I was expecting a lot of people who use Linux, and maybe 2 Windows users

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Top
 Post subject: Re: Who uses Linux? Apple? Windows?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:23 pm  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 07, 2010
Posts: 439
Location: home/Nixnine/.gimp-2.0/scripts/nixnine.scm
I'm a Linux Mint user and probably will be for some time. I like the system and its ease of use. Functions beautifully. The only time I shut it down is when I am trying another OS from cd/usb (yes, I am continually looking, seeing what's out there. ;) ).

I had used windows since before the new millenium -- not very long, i know -- but wanted a little more freedom in the customization of the system and also some cool programs. I really enjoy using my computer for daily work.

_________________
I refuse to be confused, but am often confused at this refusal.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Who uses Linux? Apple? Windows?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:37 am  (#12) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 11, 2010
Posts: 545
Location: In the mini-chat, saying silly things
Use both linux and Windows. Like Linux Mint best of all OS I tried (It makes sense and windows never made sense to me.) but my main computer runs windows and all my programs that I can't do without are on there.

The home folder in Linux vs My documents that is buried in the file system somewhere is a good example of how windows doesn't make sense.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Who uses Linux? Apple? Windows?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:27 am  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 30, 2010
Posts: 1937
Location: Missouri
I use XP and Mint, I'm still new to Mint though.

_________________
Image
The last time I kept an open mind,
my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Who uses Linux? Apple? Windows?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:02 am  (#14) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb 17, 2011
Posts: 225
There are currently three PCs in our family, 2 Linuxes (Ubuntu and Xandros) and Win XP. For my own purposes I only use Ubuntu PC, so I only chose that option. My wife and my son use those other PCs. My son also uses Gimp for his MMORPG fan website work.

Theoretically I have Win 7 laptop from my employer, I think I even installed Gimp on that. But I have no time for artistic work during work time.

It's quite wonderful how well Gimp works in so many different OSs.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Who uses Linux? Apple? Windows?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:33 am  (#15) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 29, 2010
Posts: 711
Location: Netherlands
I use Gentoo Linux (7 years now) only.
http://www.gentoo.org/
It is definitely not a "point & click" type of distro.
Installation is purely by CLI.
It is very rewarding though:You get to know your system inside out.And only install what you want.
It is a "rolling distro",once installed regular upgrades keep your system up to date.
Documentation and Forum are unsurpassed.
Gerard.

_________________
Gentoo Linux always up-to-date.
Kernel-3.17.4 Python-2.7.8/3.3.5
Gimp-2.8.14

I use Linux only.
And Virtualbox with Win 7


Top
 Post subject: Re: Who uses Linux? Apple? Windows?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:55 am  (#16) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16200
Windows XP - i won't go to Windows 7 i refuse to .. :lol
I did just 2 weeks ago receive my Ubuntu setup in the snail mail and will
probably wait until i have another system to set it up. So i'll probably run
Ubuntu to compile and Windows to play. :)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Who uses Linux? Apple? Windows?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:39 am  (#17) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 11, 2010
Posts: 545
Location: In the mini-chat, saying silly things
Forgot to mention. I got into Linux because of GIMP. :yes Because of the GIMP community I learned that Linux was for normal people now too. Started with live CDs and found out that it is really good and not hard at all. And ended up installing it on an old computer. :mrgreen:

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Who uses Linux? Apple? Windows?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:59 pm  (#18) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 30, 2010
Posts: 1937
Location: Missouri
It seems to me that Linux Gimp is way better than Windows Gimp. It seems to look ad work better, but that might be my imagination.

Sorry this isn't worded better, I'm typing with one finger.

_________________
Image
The last time I kept an open mind,
my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.


Last edited by Gms9810 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Post subject: Re: Who uses Linux? Apple? Windows?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:00 pm  (#19) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
I wouldn't be suprised by that... GIMP is Open Source, Linux is Open Source... something tells me Windows Wouldn't like open Source Free Software, that competes with Adobe, big company with lots of Money and might support Windows in some way...

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group