It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 3:30 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Old photo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:05 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 09, 2015
Posts: 110
A friend asked me to restore an old photo, this is the result (not sure about the pink carpet)
Attachment:
before.jpg
before.jpg [ 690.6 KiB | Viewed 6898 times ]
Attachment:
after.jpg
after.jpg [ 1.66 MiB | Viewed 6898 times ]


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Old photo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:22 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
Happydays, you've done a great job on the photo. I like the result. About the colour of the carpet I think it matches perfect to the colour of the armchair. :coolthup :clap

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Old photo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:16 pm  (#3) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8473
Location: On the other side of your screen
Brilliant job thus far. Are you going to continue colouring it or cut out the coloured areas and put it on a different background?

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Top
 Post subject: Re: Old photo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:54 pm  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 09, 2015
Posts: 110
Ah, decisions decisions sallyanne

I think less is more but I will ask my friend to decide.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Old photo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:16 pm  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
Nice job on the repair, happydays.

I've attempted to repair photos on several occasion, but I never thought to colorize. The one thing I see is that the saturation level of the carpet color seems a little high, although it might be due to my display, which has the color kicked up a little.

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: Old photo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:50 pm  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 09, 2015
Posts: 110
Just adjusted saturation level - it does look better
Thanks GnuTux

Issabella & sallyanne thank you for your comments


Top
 Post subject: Re: Old photo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:53 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
I agree with Tux on this one happydays. I think you did a terrific job on cleaning up the photo, especially the stain down the front of the girls dress. The carpet is pretty bright and would look much better with a more muted pink and not so bright, it steals away from the couple.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Old photo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:12 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 09, 2015
Posts: 110
Thanks for your comments molly. I have adjusted the saturation level of the carpet.
Not sure about the green. Maybe I should run "Vote The Carpet Colour" and post the one with the most votes.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Old photo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:30 pm  (#9) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
Wow! what a difference.
I can't see anyone not being satisfied with this restoration.
Why did you removed the Santa picture that was on the wall, did you feel it was out of place?
Also no one mentioned this, but I especially like the way you delt with the beach chair that was in the foreground lower right. :bigthup

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Old photo
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:34 am  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 09, 2015
Posts: 110
Appreciate your comments Wallace.
The santa looked out of place when I colorized so decided to remove.
Beach chairs in the lounge must have been part of the swinging 60's in London (date of photo) but it had to go.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Old photo
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:38 pm  (#11) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
happydays wrote:
Appreciate your comments Wallace.
The santa looked out of place when I colorized so decided to remove.
Beach chairs in the lounge must have been part of the swinging 60's in London (date of photo) but it had to go.

You're welcome happydays. :bigthup

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group