It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 4:35 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Vintage photograph restoration.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:04 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 07, 2012
Posts: 41
Location: Detroit, MI
I restored this photograph of my great-uncles. How does this look?


Attachments:
File comment: Original c1890-1900.
05_08_0.JPEG
05_08_0.JPEG [ 746.49 KiB | Viewed 10560 times ]
File comment: With large scratches and pencil marks removed. I'm afraid I went a little too 'bright' with the color tone but after comparing to other vintage photographs of the period it's pretty accurate
05_08_1.JPEG
05_08_1.JPEG [ 1006.22 KiB | Viewed 10560 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Vintage photograph restoration.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:57 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
Definitely an improvement, but it does look a bit on the bright side.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Vintage photograph restoration.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:08 am  (#3) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Jun 22, 2010
Posts: 1171
Location: Here and there
I like your repairs but I don't understand why you've changed the colour. The original is that old and is that colour so how does changing it make it more authentic?

I've a small collection of old photos and they pretty much match your original in tone:
http://www.23hq.com/paynekj/album/7161328

Sorry if I've come over a bit harsh, I'm trying to be constructive, but I have a tendency to be over critical at times. :)

Kevin


Top
 Post subject: Re: Vintage photograph restoration.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:12 am  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 30, 2012
Posts: 2174
Don't know a lot about photography, but I like what you have achieved.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Vintage photograph restoration.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:40 am  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 05, 2011
Posts: 606
Location: limestone,ny
I like to run the G'mic Smooth (anisotropic) filter on old pics

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Vintage photograph restoration.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:57 am  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
nice, alc

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Vintage photograph restoration.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:09 am  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Posts: 2089
Location: US
One of the best techniques for photo restoration described
here
Unfortunately, the process cannot be automated. Lots of manual labor, but restoration in general is a very tedious and meticulous process, isn't it?
Image

And I would agree that adding sepia kind of effect/color to a vintage photo is redundancy, well, if it's a side effect of some other image manipulation, the best choice would be to restore the original color palette.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Vintage photograph restoration.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:18 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 10, 2013
Posts: 863
The photograph was not only weathered. There seems to be a lot of dirt on its surface, something like ashes, and some spots of blue paint.
In the rush I was not careful, and even some of these risks blues eventually be forgotten and not removed them.
I was a good learning, although not at the end I decided on which of several results that I would be getting better.
Basically just used clone tools, and smudge tools. To reduce a little dirt, applied a light Smooth anisotropic.
The result was obtained with more colorful brightess / contrast.
Image

_________________
bbbbbbbbbbbImage
bbbbbbbbbbb Be patient, English is not my language.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Vintage photograph restoration.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:35 pm  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 10, 2013
Posts: 863
Not yet got that contrast the outcome of K1t. Gives a nice luster to image. :gaah
Two new restorations. Still looking for a satisfactory result.
Image

_________________
bbbbbbbbbbbImage
bbbbbbbbbbb Be patient, English is not my language.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Vintage photograph restoration.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:55 pm  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
with little manual modification + some despeckle + shear

Attachment:
05_08_0-DN.JPEG
05_08_0-DN.JPEG [ 597.91 KiB | Viewed 8878 times ]

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Vintage photograph restoration.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:06 am  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
Wow! each one have made a fantastic restoration on the photo. That's incredible! Well Done! I love the tone in old photos and you have respected that. :jumpclap

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Vintage photograph restoration.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:36 am  (#12) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Jan 25, 2014
Posts: 78
I do agree with Issabella.
Learned new tricks. :tyspin
@KiT thank you for the link. The site seems to be very interesting although the language is not.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Vintage photograph restoration.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:08 am  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
I had to have a go to this kind of restoration on photography. Forgive my daring as it is the first thing I do. I hope you like mine too a little.


Attachments:
05_08_0.JPEG
05_08_0.JPEG [ 746.49 KiB | Viewed 3595 times ]
05_08_0-restoration.jpg
05_08_0-restoration.jpg [ 3.07 MiB | Viewed 3595 times ]

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.
Top
 Post subject: Re: Vintage photograph restoration.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:17 am  (#14) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
...exploring all fields of enhancement, that's what I like in your strong temperament, Issabella!
are you loving now photo manipulation? I think so!!!
Good result in a very difficult area...

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Vintage photograph restoration.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:24 am  (#15) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
Thank you Dinasset, I love photo manipulation. I'm learning so much from you and masters as you. Thanks for your nice words to my result. :tyspin

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Vintage photograph restoration.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:06 pm  (#16) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2015
Posts: 256
I am totally ashamed of that image I put up here last night. All I can say is I was half asleep when I did it. I have now touched it up properly, and here is the finished image.


Attachments:
gimpchat_old_photo_restored.png
gimpchat_old_photo_restored.png [ 1.26 MiB | Viewed 3425 times ]
Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group