It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 5:51 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: What Screen Resolution Do You Use?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:32 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
I normally run 1280x768 which is a 15:9 aspect ratio and I'm wondering if most members here use a similar aspect ratio? The reason I ask is that I'm considering increasing the picture size (currently 700px) before rescaling the image down. 700px seems a little low for higher resolution displays with wide screen aspect ratios like 16:9.

It is better for those who use lower resolutions 1024x768 with standard 4:3 displays but I'm wondering how many people are still using 4:3 displays these days?

Any thoughts or suggestions? :tyspin

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: What Screen Resolution Do You Use?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:44 pm  (#2) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
Mine is 1440 x 900. A 700px image would show fine for me.

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Post subject: Re: What Screen Resolution Do You Use?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:44 pm  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 24, 2010
Posts: 84
Just FYI I'm jusing 1920x1080 (on a laptop) The title said "What Screen Resolution Do You Use?" so here it is :cool ;)


Top
 Post subject: Re: What Screen Resolution Do You Use?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:17 pm  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
Oregonian wrote:
Mine is 1440 x 900. A 700px image would show fine for me.


Ok, so far everyone is using a wide screen format at approx 16:9 aspect ratio.

I imagine a 700px image leaves a lot of space to be filled when this site is maximized, unless you have your browser zoomed way up. I zoom mine a notch or two but I'm displaying on a 37 LCD TV and sitting across the room in a lounge chair. :hehe

I was actually thinking of allowing images to 1000px before scaling them down.

Like the gargoyle (currently gets scaled down to 700px), for example..

Image

I can view this full image in my 1280x768 resolution without it scrolling off the side.

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: What Screen Resolution Do You Use?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:36 pm  (#5) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
Did a screen shot of that one. My rectangle tool tells me there's 485px of blank screen space to the right. So if the smaller pic is 700, an image of 1100w would still have a little left over space.

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Post subject: Re: What Screen Resolution Do You Use?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:41 pm  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
Ok, so 1000px might be a good size to go with. Let's see if a few more members chime in with their resolution.

After all, this is a graphics oriented site and we want to provided the best experience possible for members, feature wise and visually. :2thup

Any and all suggestions welcomed and encouraged.

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: What Screen Resolution Do You Use?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:16 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
Mine is 1024 x 768
ok, so I have an old dinosaur of a computer. It doesn't help that I have my bookmarks pinned along the side, lol, so I have to scroll a lot more than most people anyway.


Top
 Post subject: Re: What Screen Resolution Do You Use?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:11 am  (#8) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Apr 23, 2010
Posts: 1553
Location: not from Guildford after all
I use 1024x768 because I work a lot with video and I prefer not to have to scale it (I also have a puny puter).

_________________
Any sufficiently primitive technology is indistinguishable from a rock.


Top
 Post subject: Re: What Screen Resolution Do You Use?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:04 am  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 11, 2010
Posts: 545
Location: In the mini-chat, saying silly things
1440x900

I'd put it on 800px to downscale because 800x600 is one of the common used picture resize size that people use. But I'm not sure if that would work for saulgoode and 2-ton?

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: What Screen Resolution Do You Use?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:06 am  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
1440 x 900 on mine...

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: What Screen Resolution Do You Use?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:07 pm  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 27, 2010
Posts: 1510
Location: Sweden
2560x1024 (1280x1024 for each screen)
.
Griatch

_________________


Top
 Post subject: Re: What Screen Resolution Do You Use?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:38 pm  (#12) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I've decided to go with 760px to avoid stretching the browser when running at 1024x768. 760px fits nicely in here on a maximized browser at 1024x768.

On a related note, signature images will be limited to 500x150.

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: What Screen Resolution Do You Use?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:10 pm  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 31, 2010
Posts: 93
Technically, I use 2080x900 resolution, which is 104:45.
But my main monitor is 1600x900 or 16:9.

_________________


Top
 Post subject: Re: What Screen Resolution Do You Use?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 pm  (#14) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
1280x800 on mine. There are too many possibilities, because 'control and plus' magnifies/zooms in most browser screens and 'control and minus' reduces/zooms out. This is for Windows. I don't know what options are available on Linux and Mac. As a result, two computers with the same resolution, will still look different, depending on the browser settings.

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: What Screen Resolution Do You Use?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:38 pm  (#15) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16175
I use 1024x768 thank you for asking.


Top
 Post subject: Re: What Screen Resolution Do You Use?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:08 pm  (#16) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Posts: 697
My notebook is 1400x1050.

-Rob A>

_________________
Image
Fantasy Cartography and Mapping by RobA


Top
 Post subject: Re: What Screen Resolution Do You Use?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:05 pm  (#17) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12849
1680X1050; that's what my Dell 2209wa wants it to be. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: What Screen Resolution Do You Use?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:51 pm  (#18) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
:bump
I'm currently using 1440x900 but I do have my browser zoomed a little because I'm actually sitting across the room, using a wireless portable keyboard.

I'm wondering what resolution others are using nowadays?

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: What Screen Resolution Do You Use?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:57 pm  (#19) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Jun 22, 2010
Posts: 1171
Location: Here and there
1680x1050 at home, 2560x1024 at work (dual monitor setup)

Kevin


Top
 Post subject: Re: What Screen Resolution Do You Use?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:57 pm  (#20) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12849
1373X864. Have to add that I use a VM of XP so I can stretch it to whatever size I want up to 1680X1050. lol

:)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group