It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 3:51 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Spammers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:19 am  (#1) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
We've had a large upsurge of spammers lately. When you see a spam message, please do not reply to the message.

Instead, please click the report button Image in the lower right corner of the spammer's post. That way it alerts staff to a spammer and doesn't make another post to be deleted.

Also, don't click any links in their posts. That gives them credit from the spam website for posting the spam.

Gimp Chat members are our best line of defense against spammers. Thanks so much for your help.

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Spammers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:42 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 24, 2010
Posts: 504
Location: Western Vic Australia
Oregonian wrote:
We've had a large upsurge of spammers lately. When you see a spam message, please do not reply to the message.

Instead, please click the report button Image in the lower right corner of the spammer's post. That way it alerts staff to a spammer and doesn't make another post to be deleted.

Also, don't click any links in their posts. That gives them credit from the spam website for posting the spam.

Gimp Chat members are our best line of defense against spammers. Thanks so much for your help.


Hi. O I just read this post. Without your explanation and looking closely I would not have recognised the symbol as an exclamation mark (it is quite indistinct ) Perhaps just in tiny spidery writing "report spam" above it. or an empty box with "report this page" or "report spam".

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spammers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:48 pm  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
I saw this message when it first went up, and shortly afterward I found spam and clicked the button. I sent a message about the spam and checked of the box to notified when the spam was removed. I no longer saw the spam, but never got word of it's removal. The important thing is that it was taken care of.

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spammers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:53 pm  (#4) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
I don't know why the notification didn't work. Something to ask GnuTux about. I know I had reported spam at GTalk and checked the notify button and I didn't get a notification either. I'll take a look in the ACP and see if there's anything I can do about it. I think it's a webmaster thing though.

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spammers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:58 pm  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
Not a big deal. The spam got deleted and that's all that really mattered.

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spammers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:02 pm  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 27, 2010
Posts: 1510
Location: Sweden
From experience on GT, a report is only sent to the reporter if the admin explicitly closes the report. If the reported posts are deleted, the report ceases to exist rather than formally closes. I don't think the user minds as long as the spam is gone. :)
.
Griatch

_________________


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spammers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:18 pm  (#7) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
Thanks Griatch. I looked in the reports and there were none so I couldn't close one to see if it worked.

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spammers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:24 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Posts: 4050
Agreed. Nothing irks me more than seeing spam linger on a site and get duplicate postings from the same spammer. It means, IMHO, that admin just doesn't care enough to deal with it. It's rampant almost everywhere, and making those sites hard to navigate, so I just quit going there.

_________________
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spammers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:19 pm  (#9) 
Offline
Former Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 17, 2010
Posts: 618
Location: Rockford, IL
Lets kick the spammers Image (yes I got to use it! :D)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spammers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:19 pm  (#10) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
Image

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spammers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:08 pm  (#11) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16175
I am normally getting 3-4 spam posts per day at my Gimp Blog now. :)
Which is pretty easy to control so far.Gimper.net is another story however.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spammers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:25 am  (#12) 
Offline
Former Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 17, 2010
Posts: 618
Location: Rockford, IL
Rod wrote:
I am normally getting 3-4 spam posts per day at my Gimp Blog now. :)
Which is pretty easy to control so far.Gimper.net is another story however.

I get about 13-14, but they go straight into the spam folder thanks to the akismet wordpress plugin.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spammers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:55 pm  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Posts: 4050
Quote:
I get about 13-14, but they go straight into the spam folder thanks to the akismet wordpress plugin.


That's one handy little plug-in, isn't it, Mike?

Last month I was getting up to 50 a day, then it just quit for like two weeks (no spam at all) and then it went back to its normal 2 or 3 a day. I think the spammers went on strike for a couple of weeks, lol.

_________________
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spammers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:04 pm  (#14) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
I get an average of 2 to 3 per day in the two sites I mod in and Word Press gets the rest...

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Spammers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:32 am  (#15) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
Griatch wrote:
From experience on GT, a report is only sent to the reporter if the admin explicitly closes the report. If the reported posts are deleted, the report ceases to exist rather than formally closes. I don't think the user minds as long as the spam is gone. :)
.
Griatch
I reported the last spammer. After I banned username, email address and IP, I closed the report, deleted the user, and I did get a notification. The one I tried before that one I did the same thing except I deleted the user before closing the report and the report was gone. I need to try and remember to do it all in the correct order so reporters get a notification.
_________________
That last spammer posted using Russian text. Now what good does that do? Who's going to be able to read it? Image

Molly pointed me to this site. It's useful for checking out usernames, IPs and email addresses. I have been reporting the ones we get.

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group