It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 2:35 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Magnitude 8.9 Earthquake Rocks Japan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:11 pm  (#1) 
Offline
Former Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 17, 2010
Posts: 618
Location: Rockford, IL
For thoughs that follow me on Twitter, I posted this tweet 8 hours ago (2am), and the link will give you some more information on this - #prayforjapan Japan earthquake: Magnitude 8.9 quake rocks Japan - latimes.com http://lat.ms/heuYdr

Also if you follow me on Facebook I posted the same thing: Japan earthquake: Magnitude 8.9 quake rocks Japan - latimes.com http://lat.ms/heuYdr


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Magnitude 8.9 Earthquake Rocks Japan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:10 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Yes; saw this very early this morning before Charter went offline (and that included my Internet access). Very sad indeed. Prayers to those most effected and my things become normal soon over there in Japan especially.

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Magnitude 8.9 Earthquake Rocks Japan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:16 pm  (#3) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
That must have been terrifying and horrible. My thoughts and prayers to the Japanese people.

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Post subject: Re: Magnitude 8.9 Earthquake Rocks Japan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:39 pm  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
This Sent a Tsunami twords Hawai too, which got hit around 2:30? or 3:30 this morning, Standard time... no time zones.

The people who live there, had about 8 hour warning and were evacuated and are okay.

Last I heard the Death Count in Japan was over 300

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Top
 Post subject: Re: Magnitude 8.9 Earthquake Rocks Japan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:45 pm  (#5) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
Willy wrote:
This Sent a Tsunami twords Hawai too, which got hit around 2:30? or 3:30 this morning, Standard time... no time zones.

The people who live there, had about 8 hour warning and were evacuated and are okay.

Last I heard the Death Count in Japan was over 300
The final count is likely to be in the several thousands. But considering it's one of the strongest quakes ever Japan fares very well. They won't get anywhere near the casualties of the Haïti quake or of your average South American quake.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Magnitude 8.9 Earthquake Rocks Japan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:54 pm  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
Yep, I heard about that number about 4am no time zones at school. So I am not supprised it is not accurate.

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Top
 Post subject: Re: Magnitude 8.9 Earthquake Rocks Japan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:15 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
My daughter's ex-bf is stationed in Japan. He texted her that he is ok. We were all concerned.

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Magnitude 8.9 Earthquake Rocks Japan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:16 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
That is good to know, anyone know what happened when it hit Alaska, and if it hit anywhere else?

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Top
 Post subject: Re: Magnitude 8.9 Earthquake Rocks Japan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:34 am  (#9) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
Fortunately the tsunami along the Oregon coast did minimal damage. People were evacuated ahead of time. It's the people in Japan and Hawaii that got hit the worst.

I live enough inland that I didn't have to worry. I live about 10 to 15 miles as the crow flies from the ocean.

http://www.kgw.com/news/Oregon-Wash-coasts-under-Tsunami-Watch-117786974.html

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Post subject: Re: Magnitude 8.9 Earthquake Rocks Japan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:35 am  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
That is good to know, and now I understand your name :p

Hawai didn't get it bad either, they had enough warning to evacuate, Japan really got the damage...

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Top
 Post subject: Re: Magnitude 8.9 Earthquake Rocks Japan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:41 am  (#11) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16200
It's good to know many people had ample warning of the tsunamis approaching.
Sad that Japan has to go through this devastation in their country, and the terrible loss of life.
They are in my prayers.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Magnitude 8.9 Earthquake Rocks Japan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:17 pm  (#12) 
Offline
Former Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 17, 2010
Posts: 618
Location: Rockford, IL
Evidently this earthquake shifted the earth axis by 4 inches, and we don't have 24 hours anymore, it's just a few seconds I believe, but researching it more (Article on CNN)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Magnitude 8.9 Earthquake Rocks Japan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:22 am  (#13) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16200
the last one shifted the earth axis closer to North by .05 inches.
4 inches is incredible.They are saying now at least 10,000 people are feared dead in one area alone.
I saw this image and it just floored me.

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Magnitude 8.9 Earthquake Rocks Japan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:33 am  (#14) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16200
Yes those are cargo containers -
Image

Unbelievable


Top
 Post subject: Re: Magnitude 8.9 Earthquake Rocks Japan
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:05 pm  (#15) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
I spy with my little eye, a car on-top of a building o.O

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group