It is currently Sat Oct 03, 2026 1:51 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

What height would you prefer for Signatures
Poll ended at Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:37 pm
150 pixels 71%  71%  [ 12 ]
200 pixels 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 17
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: New Signature Height Vote
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:42 pm  (#21) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
Voting is still open. Last day of voting is March 17th. :sham

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Signature Height Vote
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:43 pm  (#22) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
I am not too worried about this anymore, I have found a minor Loophole that allows sigs to be taller :D, so I am happy, and if you really need it changed then I will just take out bottom half

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Signature Height Vote
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:20 am  (#23) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Jun 22, 2010
Posts: 1171
Location: Here and there
And I'm not worried any more either as I found the option in the user control panel to switch off displaying signatures. :crop

Kevin


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Signature Height Vote
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:55 pm  (#24) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
I don't mind sig size but only sig file size

I had for a couple of years on GT a cool animated sig respecting forum size...even smaller
Only problem it was a big more the 2.5MB so if i replied 5 time to a post the page got 12.5MB extra only from my sig...and so the page was accessible only by broadband users

not doing again but anyway i suggest to focus more on file size then on image size

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Signature Height Vote
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:38 pm  (#25) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 08, 2011
Posts: 155
I would say both file size and sig size.

File size because on a full page of posts, that's a lot of images trying to load.
Sig size because they take up a lot of space when scrolling.

I wouldn't want to turn them off since it's a good part of the poster's personality, but I don't have the fastest computer and with so many images on one page, it can look really cluttered. The size restrictions aren't meant to stifle anyone's creativity, but to keep things manageable. "Finding loopholes" or getting around the restriction in some way is a little inconsiderate of the other people here and the forum admins/mods in my opinion.

Rather than turn them off though, I could just AdBlock certain ones. Thank you Firefox ;)


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Signature Height Vote
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:41 pm  (#26) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 07, 2010
Posts: 439
Location: home/Nixnine/.gimp-2.0/scripts/nixnine.scm
I really don't see the need for signature images anyway. Can anyone explain the use and purpose? I would prefer to see original artwork posted as to a slightly modified copied-and-pasted image -- that's what my avatar is for, hahaha. This is GIMP chat, lets see the real work.

_________________
I refuse to be confused, but am often confused at this refusal.


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Signature Height Vote
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:30 pm  (#27) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 10, 2011
Posts: 105
A sig is something to show how you feel. Just like all art. You make something you are proud of and you want to show people. It does not have to be a picture. You have a quote in your sig.
By the way I am pretty sure everyone here makes their sigs.

_________________
Come on people make some sigs for sig of the week!


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Signature Height Vote
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:42 pm  (#28) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
for many also sigs are real artwork


I am not much in sig making to the point that i use the same from years, but i fully agree that may be artwork no less then bigger images...same for avatars

And as Kevin found out you may hide them all ,it is a user preference

PS personally i don't like quotes as signature but only links
But i would no suggest to prevent users to add them

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Signature Height Vote
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:59 am  (#29) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16191
I believe your sig tells everyone a little about yourself.Sort of a small personal profile area of your posts.
And like paynekj said - you can always turn them off if you do not like them. :)


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Signature Height Vote
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:59 pm  (#30) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 19, 2010
Posts: 376
Location: North Central Ohio, USA
I think that if the sigs get too large you spend too much time scrolling and not reading the posts. I voted to keep it 150px.

Related: What is the file size for sigs? Maybe this info (dimensions & size)could be added to the site FAQ.

_________________
Life Truth: #12
My cat is a worst typist than I am.


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Signature Height Vote
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:16 pm  (#31) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
Well, Sigs are like your guys Art, you guys make paterns and enhance photos, sig makers combine those photos and add backgrounds and filters on them.

We all work together to get final products sometimes

Willy

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Signature Height Vote
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:49 pm  (#32) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Aug 27, 2010
Posts: 491
Two thoughts: I don't need to see a signature multiple times in the same thread. If I've seen it, I've seen it. I also shouldn't be obligated to turn off all signatures to hide the one or two I might find overbearing. I own several sites and realize you can only please some of the people some of the time but between every thought being a new thread with a title that fails to explain the thread and more focus on signatures than on useful content it seems the site has, at least temporarily, lost focus on what makes it GIMPCHAT. It used to be easy to identify threads of interest and to quickly skim through them. Now, between the non-descript titles and the concern of signatures over content the site is becoming something different from what drew my interest. My time is limited, as I am certain is the time of many others. I need to be able to quickly identify what is of interest in my limited free time, not to have to open every thread that doesn't clearly define the subject in the thread and then to scan through dozens of signatures looking for relevant content.


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Signature Height Vote
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:12 pm  (#33) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Posts: 4050
Welp, I'm torn.

On one hand its shameless promotion of - <link to whatever you submit>. Which in some cases can be good (like when I want to visit Rod's, PM's, PC's, etc site and their sig is readily available to click).

And I also agree that sometimes they can obscure and be over-bearing, as well. I actually got annoyed with my own sig (and made something new, temporarily). I've pondered just not having one at all (which may be the more likely of my choices) simply because even my own can tend to annoy me as I scroll and scroll and scr... well, you get the picture.

Even better would be our avatars with embedded linking. It would definitely move me to eliminating my sig. I haven't looked in to avatar with linking, if it's not available on gimpchat, I think it can be done offsite, by linking to your avatar from your own website. I've never felt the need to do so, but obviously a great deal of people feel strongly about keeping them, too.

I'm on the fence.

_________________
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes


Top
 Post subject: Re: New Signature Height Vote
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:20 pm  (#34) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
I don't think you can link through your Avatar, but this would be greatly appreciated and pretty cool :D
I wonder if this is possible, I have never been on a site where you could...

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group