It is currently Sat Oct 10, 2026 4:12 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: how do i open the scripts folder on gimp (i use windows)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:38 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 07, 2011
Posts: 206
so how do i do it?


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: how do i open the scripts folder on gimp (i use windows)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:41 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
Start>My Computer>Local Hardrive (C)>Program Files>GIMP-2.0>Share>GIMP>2.0>Scripts

Enjoy

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Top
 Post subject: Re: how do i open the scripts folder on gimp (i use windows)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:42 pm  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 07, 2010
Posts: 439
Location: home/Nixnine/.gimp-2.0/scripts/nixnine.scm
C:/program files/Gimp2.0/share/gimp/2.0/scripts

_________________
I refuse to be confused, but am often confused at this refusal.


Top
 Post subject: Re: how do i open the scripts folder on gimp (i use windows)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:43 pm  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
Got it covered Nixnine

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Top
 Post subject: Re: how do i open the scripts folder on gimp (i use windows)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:49 pm  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 07, 2011
Posts: 206
ya i figured it out but thx anyways lol


Top
 Post subject: Re: how do i open the scripts folder on gimp (i use windows)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:31 pm  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Posts: 4050
It also depends on whether you are set up for single user or system wide. And if you are speaking of the existing GIMP scripts that come with GIMP, or new ones you add to GIMP.

From experience, I tend to avoid using the "system wide" folders in Program Files. The reason, is because you stand a good chance of losing any scripts you add there when you uninstall GIMP, for any reason. So if you are using the system wide location in Program Files, make back-ups of your scripts. Or avoid all that by adding them to the single user location at C:\Users\username\.gimp-2.6\scripts (Vista and 7).

It just makes more sense to use the single user location, for the off-chance you have to uninstall GIMP, you won't lose your scripts. This goes for plug-ins, too (in the plug-ins folder, of course).

_________________
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes


Top
 Post subject: Re: how do i open the scripts folder on gimp (i use windows)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:42 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 07, 2010
Posts: 439
Location: home/Nixnine/.gimp-2.0/scripts/nixnine.scm
I'm good man. Don't need any help. I got it covered too.

_________________
I refuse to be confused, but am often confused at this refusal.


Top
 Post subject: Re: how do i open the scripts folder on gimp (i use windows)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:10 pm  (#8) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
mahvin wrote:
It just makes more sense to use the single user location, for the off-chance you have to uninstall GIMP, you won't lose your scripts. This goes for plug-ins, too (in the plug-ins folder, of course).
You are also a lot more likely to make regular backups of your personal disk space than of the system disks.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: how do i open the scripts folder on gimp (i use windows)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:35 pm  (#9) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16200
The only fall back is you may after updating Gimp to the newest version have a script that will no longer run or has some deprecated code.
The best place to put all new downloaded scripts, plug-ins, or windows binaries is in the user docs gimp-2.0 sub directory folders whatever system platform you use.


Top
 Post subject: Re: how do i open the scripts folder on gimp (i use windows)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:36 pm  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
This is sorda on topic with this... How do you install G'MIC in the Portable GIMP? Anyone know? I tried and it won't work...

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Top
 Post subject: Re: how do i open the scripts folder on gimp (i use windows)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:42 pm  (#11) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16200
You may have to copy a few of the Gimp-2.0 dll files to that portables app/bin folder Willy.
I have never tried this though so do it at your own risk :lol


Top
 Post subject: Re: how do i open the scripts folder on gimp (i use windows)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:43 pm  (#12) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
Well I did it, and re arranged some stuff, and nothing happened :lol so I don't know if I can really Break GIMP, but hopefully someone can tell me what I need to move, I am not really that Techy to figure it out

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Top
 Post subject: Re: how do i open the scripts folder on gimp (i use windows)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:46 pm  (#13) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16200
Don't move anything - copy and paste to insure you do not mess up Gimps core files.
I advise to make a list of things you copy and paste also.
Welcome to the world of de-bugging :lol


Top
 Post subject: Re: how do i open the scripts folder on gimp (i use windows)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:49 pm  (#14) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
Yeah... bit late for the Do not "move" I didn't "move" I did Copy and Paste, but... I have no idea what all I moved, I am thinking about taking the whole GIMP 2.0 Scripts Folder and replacing the one in Portable with that one...

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Top
 Post subject: Re: how do i open the scripts folder on gimp (i use windows)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:25 pm  (#15) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16200
You could probably do that or i believe there is a zip with all the default scripts at deviant art.There is also a plug-ins zip there too i think?

scripts folder - http://www.deviantart.com/download/1005 ... ources.zip

plug-ins i couldn't find sorry


Top
 Post subject: Re: how do i open the scripts folder on gimp (i use windows)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:29 pm  (#16) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16200
Found it - http://www.deviantart.com/download/1005 ... ources.zip


Top
 Post subject: Re: how do i open the scripts folder on gimp (i use windows)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:32 pm  (#17) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16200
Here is a link you may find pretty cool
http://ilkka-yo.deviantart.com/art/GIMP ... ugins&qo=2


Top
 Post subject: Re: how do i open the scripts folder on gimp (i use windows)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:49 am  (#18) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 12, 2010
Posts: 5870
Best way to install plugin in gimp gimportable, gimpainter etc is:
extract gmic (or mathmapor whatever ) in a dedicated folder, WHERE YOU LIKE
load gimp go to Edit/Preferences/folder/plugin there click first "new folder" icon and then "search" icon to add the path for that folder (more easy do then explain)

Obviously for the portable if is installed on the main HD, the folder may be everywhere you like, but if you run the portable from a USB drive the folder should also be in the USB drive

For gmic you may also use the installer just is better point the installer to a new dedicated folder, not to one already in use

If you use the zipped version you should extract everything not only the exe

_________________
My 3D Gallery on Deviantart http://photocomix2.deviantart.com/
Main gallery http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix-mandala/
Mandala and simmetry http://www.flickriver.com/photos/photocomix_mandala/

Image

Mrs Wilbress


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group