It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 5:01 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: scan restoration - help needed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:50 pm  (#1) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Jan 09, 2015
Posts: 4
I have a particularly nasty "original" of a very old blueprint. There is a fair amount of chance that the original is actually a color copy of the "lost real original", but nevertheless, this is the best we have and we need to dig out a readable image out of it.

I am looking for advice/guidance how to make the most out of this scan.
Seems like any of the 'stand-alone' approaches (levels, treshold, multiple layers of hard-light) is sub-optimal. So far the wavelet sharpen gives me the most detail, but I can't get rid of the background. Any, even the smallest help is appreciated.Please see the attached file and post your results.


Attachments:
File comment: nasty blueprint scan
scan.jpg
scan.jpg [ 1.86 MiB | Viewed 6299 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: scan restoration - help needed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:10 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
I've done 2 tries but it's too difficult me to improve the sheet. I hope someone to be able to do it notabenem. :oops:


Attachments:
scan-try2.jpg
scan-try2.jpg [ 1.57 MiB | Viewed 6285 times ]
scan-try1.jpg
scan-try1.jpg [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 6285 times ]

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.
Top
 Post subject: Re: scan restoration - help needed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:15 pm  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
I tried it with several filters and just couldn't get rid of all that noise, desaturate did make it a little more clear, but not much. I think this one is going to take a magician.
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: scan restoration - help needed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:17 pm  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Posts: 5127
Location: Metro Vancouver, BC
Do you have the original blueprint? If so, can you rescan at a higher resolution and a better format (TIF, PNG)? With an image like this how you scan is very important, have a look at A few scanning tips.

_________________
Image
Gimp 2.8.18, Linux, median user
Gimp Chat Tutorials Index
Spirit Bear (Kermode)


Top
 Post subject: Re: scan restoration - help needed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:37 pm  (#5) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Posts: 697
As that is just a segment, cleaning it up won't help.

I'd suggest redrawing it by hand based on why the eye can perceive and then ring out the wires of the actual cct to confirm the correct relay/contact and switch connections.

-Rob A>

_________________
Image
Fantasy Cartography and Mapping by RobA


Top
 Post subject: Re: scan restoration - help needed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:53 pm  (#6) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
Here's the best I could do with this scanned blueprint...
Image

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: scan restoration - help needed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:57 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Looks better Wallace, it is almost tempting to use that for a guide and redraw the whole thing. At least now you can see the lines.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: scan restoration - help needed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:11 pm  (#8) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Jan 09, 2015
Posts: 4
I do have the 'original' as well as the raw scanned TIFF (200dpi, 24bit). The reason I gave you the JPG because the png (8MB) did not fit the size restrictions of this board. Nevertheless I do not think the lossyness of JPG makes a difference in this case. Higher DPI won't help either, just the spots will be bigger in terms of pixel size.

What did you do Wallace, to achieve your result?


Top
 Post subject: Re: scan restoration - help needed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:28 pm  (#9) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14219
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
notabenem wrote:
I do have the 'original' as well as the raw scanned TIFF (200dpi, 24bit). The reason I gave you the JPG because the png (8MB) did not fit the size restrictions of this board. Nevertheless I do not think the lossyness of JPG makes a difference in this case. Higher DPI won't help either, just the spots will be bigger in terms of pixel size.

What did you do Wallace, to achieve your result?

I desaturated the image, applied curves to make it as white as I could without losing the lines. Duplicated the image and did a color to alpha with white. duplicated that and set the layer mode to multiply. Duplicated that a few times and merged everything.

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: scan restoration - help needed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:41 pm  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 16, 2011
Posts: 5127
Location: Metro Vancouver, BC
notabenem wrote:
I do have the 'original' as well as the raw scanned TIFF (200dpi, 24bit). The reason I gave you the JPG because the png (8MB) did not fit the size restrictions of this board. Nevertheless I do not think the lossyness of JPG makes a difference in this case. Higher DPI won't help either, just the spots will be bigger in terms of pixel size.

What did you do Wallace, to achieve your result?
Archive (zip) the PNG with the highest compression ratio and attach it here.

_________________
Image
Gimp 2.8.18, Linux, median user
Gimp Chat Tutorials Index
Spirit Bear (Kermode)


Top
 Post subject: Re: scan restoration - help needed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:51 pm  (#11) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Jan 09, 2015
Posts: 4
Odinbc wrote:
Archive (zip) the PNG with the highest compression ratio and attach it here.


PNG already employs the LZW compression algorithm - the same as used in ZIP.
Anyway, did as told. The final file size was actually 2kb bigger than without compression.


Top
 Post subject: Re: scan restoration - help needed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:21 pm  (#12) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
I think Roba's idea would be the best, redraw then put the numbers back in.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: scan restoration - help needed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:28 pm  (#13) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Jan 09, 2015
Posts: 4
While redrawing would be an option for this specific sample, we have thousands of such drawings.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group