It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2026 3:57 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Bubbles. I need help, please
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:04 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 24, 2014
Posts: 49
I'm not good at taking photos and this one was taken with a phone:
Image

I did some work and that is what I get with curves, high pass, bilateral smoothing:
Image
A little better, I think. It's still a mediocre photo and that's a shame since the subject is interesting.
Some advice, please?


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Bubbles. I need help, please
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:45 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
That is really cool, where did the bubble come from. I didn't even realize you could get a photo that clear of a bubble.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Bubbles. I need help, please
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:17 pm  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
I think it's a pretty darn good photo!


Top
 Post subject: Re: Bubbles. I need help, please
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:30 am  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
I made an attempt, but I don't think it's a real improvement, just a bit different
(levels, added some sky, stretched)
Attachment:
3923_bolle11-DN1.jpg
3923_bolle11-DN1.jpg [ 615.87 KiB | Viewed 6523 times ]

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Bubbles. I need help, please
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:57 am  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
this is NOT an enhancement, just a "variation": applied engrave (modified) on separate layers
Attachment:
3923_bolle11-DN2.jpg
3923_bolle11-DN2.jpg [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 6522 times ]

I like the image, so I played a little with it...

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: Bubbles. I need help, please
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:55 am  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 24, 2014
Posts: 49
Thank you dinasset, I like them. I think that the first one is an improvement.

@2-ton, thanks.

@molly, blowing in a big bubble makes the little ones. I guess that the camera phone saturated the colours? I don't know, I used my brother's phone.
The colours in real life where like this (my camera's batteries died some minutes after this photo :hoh ) :
Image
The bubble wasn't so huge, it's the perspective.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Bubbles. I need help, please
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:23 am  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 16, 2012
Posts: 4271
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
corvo: i too think it's a lovely photo! i have a suggestion: why not combine your original picture with your tweaked one? the bubble is so beautiful in the tweaked version, but the surroundings look a bit too high-contrast, i think. what if you put the tweaked one as a layer above the original one, masked off just the bubble and played around with layer modes and/or opacity?

_________________


Top
 Post subject: Re: Bubbles. I need help, please
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:31 am  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Corvo, Do you have some kind of bubble maker to make them so large. I have never seen bubbles that size.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Bubbles. I need help, please
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:48 am  (#9) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
Very nice photos for phone photos. The bubbles are beautiful. YouTube has quite a few different videos of blowing huge bubble.
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Post subject: Re: Bubbles. I need help, please
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:56 am  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Thanks, that is really cool but I don't see how he is getting the bubble solution between those sticks with the strings. Guess I will have to watch some more until I find out. The only kind I have ever made are the ones you buy... a handle with a circle on the end of it and you just dip that in the bottle of bubble stuff.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Bubbles. I need help, please
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:10 am  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 24, 2014
Posts: 49
Molly, I don't know, my brother makes them, not me.
I think that it's dishwashing liquid, citric acid and glycerol?
Some dishwashing liquid should be enough to make medium size ones with 2 sticks and a rope.
Edit: he puts the rope in the soap, and open it (wind does most of the work)

@Oregonian :)

@AnMal, something like this?
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Bubbles. I need help, please
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:14 pm  (#12) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
Thanks Corvo, I did find the recipe. http://happyhooligans.ca/homemade-giant-bubbles/

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Bubbles. I need help, please
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:24 pm  (#13) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Apr 23, 2010
Posts: 1553
Location: not from Guildford after all
Here's my attempt. Though I think the original photo is quite fine, I used a small amount of retinex to increase the contrast of the bubbles.

Attachment:
bubbles.jpg
bubbles.jpg [ 805.23 KiB | Viewed 3029 times ]

_________________
Any sufficiently primitive technology is indistinguishable from a rock.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Bubbles. I need help, please
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:29 pm  (#14) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 07, 2010
Posts: 14182
nice Saul

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Bubbles. I need help, please
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:14 pm  (#15) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 24, 2014
Posts: 49
@saulgoode, thanks. ^^


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group