It is currently Sun Oct 04, 2026 10:17 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Mokonafan's Practice Thread - Pastel/Watercolor/Pencil Combos
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:28 pm  (#41) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 28, 2012
Posts: 3060
Location: Idk where I am.
Okay, here is a real "out of my comfort zone" thing coming here.

The colors are brighter in real life, all these images are photos from a 10 year old phone. :gaah


Okey, lets begin!

I got some sharpie and bic markers (Not really art markers but it's a lot cheaper than prismacolor and copic so take what you can get!) and used them to color this character twice, I used the markers as a base layer and then shaded with colored pencil and blended the colored pencil with a colorless blender pencil...This is the first time I can remember ever doing this style of alcohol based marker and colored pencil. - Yes the character is the same as the bunny in the previous post.

It's been a while since I've illustrated a more cartoon style like this instead of a more "illustration" style.
Image

---


This one I got inspired because I was sitting in somebody's back yard and they have a lot of bamboo and I got this idea, I used one of my how to draw animals books for reference on the panda's face. - Coloring style is something new, I firsted used watercolor pencils, then I used watercolor over the watercolor pencil, after that I used colored pencil (blended with a colorless blender pencil) and in the end used soft pastel to shade the panda and over the background after I put a layer of watercolor first. I've never used soft pastel with watercolor and colored pencil combined before! I did use a red and a yellow marker for the butterflies and ladybugs but that's it for marker.


Image



---

This one I did the same basic thing as the other one, only in the end I used white paint to brighten it up a bit.


Image


For both the squirrel and panda I did thumbnail sketches on a piece of sketch paper first, both were painted on watercolor paper.

----

This final one, is a pose I don't think I've ever done because they body is slightly turned away and you see her shoulder covered with the sash. She is African and to change up the pattern (because I normally do roses, paisleys, leaves, or stripes) it's supposed to be suns on the sash and hat/wrap, her face painting I made simple with triangles and circles. If I ever get time I might color her on the computer, the sketch came out too "perfect" for me to mess with so this will forever be a pencil drawing. I personally like this one a lot.

Image


That's my update!


Enjoy, and God bless! :3

_________________
Image
Reality is a lovely place...But I wouldn't wanna live there.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mokonafan's Practice Thread - NEW STUFFS On Pg 4 and 5!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:20 pm  (#42) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
I can see so much improvement and maturity to your artwork over these last few years.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mokonafan's Practice Thread - NEW STUFFS On Pg 4 and 5!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:00 am  (#43) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 23, 2012
Posts: 7388
Location: Göteborg at last!
Nice work Moko. I love the bunnies.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mokonafan's Practice Thread - NEW STUFFS On Pg 4 and 5!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:57 am  (#44) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 16, 2012
Posts: 4271
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
mokonafan: :hi5 :jumpclap :clap it's a real treat to see this, moko! we've been going without your artwork here on gc for far too long. as usual, i'm impresssed by how much you've learned in the meantime. your style really is developing all the time and i think that's because you keep challenging yourself. i liked the bunnies a lot too, they look very alive, but i was also very impressed by the woman in the paisley sash and the sketch of the woman with suns on her clothes - both of those have so much character and they really get your attention. the child picture too impressed me very much - it's looking very confident. as usual it was iinteresting to read about the materials and technique used, especially about how you mixed watercolours and pastels - i've never even thought of using them in that order :-). i love using them together, but then i just paint the main motif in pastels and sponge in a background with watercolours afterwards. have to try it your way too now!

_________________


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mokonafan's Practice Thread - NEW STUFFS On Pg 4 and 5!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:22 am  (#45) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 28, 2012
Posts: 3060
Location: Idk where I am.
Thank you for all the kind comments!

I have been doing #inktober so the entire month in black and white...hardly anything in color. D:

There are about 35 drawings I did but since I don't have a scanner and don't have the patience to take a picture and email my self for about an hour then go out again to get internet at the library right now...all those will be a video later...But here are a few!

Image

Image

Image


Image


Image

Image

Image

Okay - 2 Colored

Ink and watercolor
Image

Colored pencil with a pastel background
Image


Enjoy!

~ God Bless~

~ Moko

_________________
Image
Reality is a lovely place...But I wouldn't wanna live there.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mokonafan's Practice Thread - A Few #Inktober Drawings
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:39 am  (#46) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
All I can say Moko, is WOW!!!! You are really talented and your artwork is AWESOME!
:paint :bigthup :yes :clap :jumpclap

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mokonafan's Practice Thread - A Few #Inktober Drawings
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:42 am  (#47) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 28, 2012
Posts: 3060
Location: Idk where I am.
Oregonian wrote:
All I can say Moko, is WOW!!!! You are really talented and your artwork is AWESOME!
:paint :bigthup :yes :clap :jumpclap

Haha awww...well thank you! :D
You know as well as anyone it's taken me years....And still much to learn! :3

_________________
Image
Reality is a lovely place...But I wouldn't wanna live there.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mokonafan's Practice Thread - A Few #Inktober Drawings
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:36 pm  (#48) 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Aug 10, 2012
Posts: 14230
Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 - 3.0, Win 11 PC.
Oregonian wrote:
All I can say Moko, is WOW!!!!
You are really talented and your artwork is AWESOME!
:paint :bigthup :yes :clap :jumpclap

:ditto

_________________
Image
"A wise man learns more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mokonafan's Practice Thread - A Few #Inktober Drawings
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:56 am  (#49) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 16, 2012
Posts: 4271
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
Oregonian wrote:
All I can say Moko, is WOW!!!! You are really talented and your artwork is AWESOME!
:paint :bigthup :yes :clap :jumpclap


i agree whole heartedly!

moko: thanks for sharing these with us, i know how tricky that is when you don't have internet access at home. i loved them all and they all tell me you're just getting better and better, but i sort of fell in love with the rag doll :). she really has character and she's very decorative too. i read an article in one of the craft magazines my future mother in law sends me about two young women who started up their own business designing stamps and scrapbooking paper and stuff for crafters and one of them was in charge of drawing up all the characters and embellishments - made me think of you. your work would go excellently in that context - maybe you could do something like that and make a bit of money on it?

_________________


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mokonafan's Practice Thread - A Few #Inktober Drawings
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:03 am  (#50) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8475
Location: On the other side of your screen
:kpix Nice

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mokonafan's Practice Thread - A Few #Inktober Drawings
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:05 pm  (#51) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 28, 2012
Posts: 3060
Location: Idk where I am.
Thank you for all the comments!

AnMal wrote:
Oregonian wrote:
All I can say Moko, is WOW!!!! You are really talented and your artwork is AWESOME!
:paint :bigthup :yes :clap :jumpclap


i agree whole heartedly!

moko: thanks for sharing these with us, i know how tricky that is when you don't have internet access at home. i loved them all and they all tell me you're just getting better and better, but i sort of fell in love with the rag doll :). she really has character and she's very decorative too. i read an article in one of the craft magazines my future mother in law sends me about two young women who started up their own business designing stamps and scrapbooking paper and stuff for crafters and one of them was in charge of drawing up all the characters and embellishments - made me think of you. your work would go excellently in that context - maybe you could do something like that and make a bit of money on it?


I love the rag doll too!

I was going to do something kinda like that, only with fabric, but it'll cost too much to have it printed.

____


Here's some small drawings, I've done more but I'll just stick with these for now.

Sharpie and bic markers mainly, a few sakura markers also. And Prismacolor pens. - It's supposed to be somewhat more simple.

Image

Image

Image

Image

I have more but like I said internet and stuffs, I might post more later idk what I've emailed myself anymore lol.

_________________
Image
Reality is a lovely place...But I wouldn't wanna live there.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mokonafan's Practice Thread - A Few #Inktober Drawings
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:59 am  (#52) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 26, 2015
Posts: 410
Location: United Kingdom
Nice pen work Mokonofan, I especially like the autumn leaves, nice colours.

_________________
“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mokonafan's Practice Thread - A Few #Inktober Drawings
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:56 pm  (#53) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 28, 2012
Posts: 3060
Location: Idk where I am.
Haiii! Yeah been a while since I've been in this thread but ehhh...!

So I tried the #8MinuteDraw challenge, this was posed to the art community by the same one who started #InkTober, Jake Parker. Here's how it works: You take 8 minutes to draw the same picture 6 times. You draw the first for 4 minutes, second for 2 minutes, third for 1 minute, fourth for 30 seconds, fifth for 15 seconds and finally the last time for 5 seconds.

And let me tell you, once you get down to 30 seconds it is a rodeo going on!
I made a full article about what I did if anyone is interested, it's rather long though so get a cup of hot chocolate and a sweater along with some Mozart. xD

Link

I did all of these today!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Enjoy and God Bless!



Artloader wrote:
Nice pen work Mokonofan, I especially like the autumn leaves, nice colours.

:tyspin :tyspin

_________________
Image
Reality is a lovely place...But I wouldn't wanna live there.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mokonafan's Practice Thread - #8MinuteDraw Challenge
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:00 am  (#54) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
Is this just a fun exercise or is there an actual learning that is supposed to happen? Just curious.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mokonafan's Practice Thread - #8MinuteDraw Challenge
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:39 am  (#55) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec 08, 2013
Posts: 1088
You do very nice work Mokonofan.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mokonafan's Practice Thread - #8MinuteDraw Challenge
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:49 am  (#56) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 28, 2012
Posts: 3060
Location: Idk where I am.
2-ton wrote:
Is this just a fun exercise or is there an actual learning that is supposed to happen? Just curious.

A little bit of both. You learn how to think faster, balance out what detail is needed and what is not, and other things.

_________________
Image
Reality is a lovely place...But I wouldn't wanna live there.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mokonafan's Practice Thread - #8MinuteDraw Challenge
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:27 pm  (#57) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: May 26, 2015
Posts: 410
Location: United Kingdom
Heheh I love the 8 minute challenges you did Mokonafan! I'm amazed you managed to get as far as you did in your 5 second ones!

_________________
“Today, give a stranger one of your smiles. It might be the only sunshine he sees all day.” -- H. Jackson Brown Jr.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mokonafan's Practice Thread - #8MinuteDraw Challenge
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:25 pm  (#58) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 27, 2010
Posts: 1510
Location: Sweden
I love to see how you have developed over the years Moko, and that you keep doing art and enjoy yourself. I really like many of your sketches and the nice line flow you are gaining/have gained. Good job!
.
Griatch

_________________


Top
 Post subject: Re: Mokonafan's Practice Thread - #8MinuteDraw Challenge
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:25 pm  (#59) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 28, 2012
Posts: 3060
Location: Idk where I am.
Okay, some new stuff.
That's right, I'm inactive but not forgotten!

Okay first up, some loose stuff.

For these two I was trying to have more fun and not actually think about perfecting it. I did this because it tends to happen to me that I take everything WAY too serious, and after a while art becomes for me a serious matter and not a fun free way of expression. Not doing a lot of detail was VERY hard for me.

This one I let the colors blend and have fun with the watercolor, I didn't control them as much, I like the cloudy look of them. I also used one sized pen and didn't worry about perfect outlines. I actually like this one a lot!
Image

For this I used the cheapest watercolors I had and drew out the image with just a sharpie pen without a sketch. Just to do something free and fun. I actually like this one too.
Image
_____
This one was a commission, I didn't make a lot of money if you go by hour (None at all if you go that route) but I did make enough money to almost entirely pay 1 bill so right now that's fine right?

I've never drawn a rooster before. I practiced like 10 times before getting a sketch I liked (I did this in a sketch book) then after all the sketches were done I redrew on watercolor paper. This is colored in Watercolor, colored pencil, crayola marker, and I think some sharpies too. I inked in brown pen, it's kinda hard to tell it's a hardlined image because of the brown, but it looks together. I was very proud of this and didn't really want to give it up but you know. :lol
Image


This one is based off of the ragdoll I did during #InkTober which was based off of a doll my mother made me when I was 16. I should post a picture of my doll sometime...Anyways. I drew this on card-stock and colored with sharpie and bic markers (Not the classy markers but they work right?). I highly recommend card-stock that's smooth, it's not as spongey and saves a lot of ink and makes the artwork look smooth.
Image


This one was tricky, it took me 15 tries to get this deer right here. 14 were sketches in my current sketchbook. The journey was long and hard for this deer. I looked up how to draw a deer, the one tutorial that I could kinda follow had a very ugly almost bat looking deer. So I had to use reference almost entirely. I basically taught myself how to draw the deer. Trying to find the shapes and different things to see how a deer loops. He's kinda dopey looking but I'm happy with it! - Colored with colored pencils, the background is watercolor and a small amount of soft pastels...This deer took me 3 days if you include the space of not working on it and sketching/learning process.
Image

Now for a more crafty thing...

I have never made a collage before, but I sure attempted it! I'm sure AnMal will like this one a lot!
Not a single thing here was what it looks like now. I cut out each petal of every flower and shaded them and every leaf. I also made the butterflies from scratch, the background was painted out of my head with watercolors. You can read some of what I did here and read everything I used. This wasn't planed out at all I just had fun and worked with it. I'm actually very proud of this one. My mother wants it now. :lol ....I haven't done crafting in years, and oh my word it's so much fun I forgot. But it's a lot harder than it used to be for me cause I'm used to drawing everything now. xD
This is 9X12 Inches.

Image


I hope this was an enjoyable little update!

Artloader wrote:
Heheh I love the 8 minute challenges you did Mokonafan! I'm amazed you managed to get as far as you did in your 5 second ones!

Thanks! I was surprised too. :lol
That was so hard, I want to play with it again now that I look at them all again.

Griatch wrote:
I love to see how you have developed over the years Moko, and that you keep doing art and enjoy yourself. I really like many of your sketches and the nice line flow you are gaining/have gained. Good job!
.
Griatch


Thank you very much! Knowing you since the start of my "forum career" and you being one of the firsts I look/ed up to it means a lot! I'm happy to know that other talented people enjoy what I do. :D :hi5

_________________
Image
Reality is a lovely place...But I wouldn't wanna live there.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group