It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 4:44 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 73  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:48 am  (#421) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
Thank you so much steven8, I'll learn it in the link you have given me. :tyspin

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:50 am  (#422) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
steven8,
Thanks for that. There is also a non-video tutorial from Pat David which covers more of the uses and, I think, is easier to follow.
http://blog.patdavid.net/2012/08/gettin ... ction.html

Issabella,
Heal Selection and Heal Transparency are part of the Resynthesize plug-in.
You can find information about obtaining the correct version and installing it at:
http://gimpforums.com/thread-how-do-i-g ... r-gimp-2-8

I suggest you look there, because I am not familiar with the versions for Windows.
If I can help in any way, just ask!

david.


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:02 am  (#423) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
Thank you David. I'll do it. :)

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:02 am  (#424) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
My tries on the pictures.


Attachments:
2016-05-23 11.14.03-roted&cropped-contrast-unsharp mask-N-G.jpg
2016-05-23 11.14.03-roted&cropped-contrast-unsharp mask-N-G.jpg [ 659.23 KiB | Viewed 1439 times ]
2016-05-20 09.50.42-roted-contrast-retinex.jpg
2016-05-20 09.50.42-roted-contrast-retinex.jpg [ 488.53 KiB | Viewed 1439 times ]

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:23 pm  (#425) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
come on guys! Will you post your tries on photos? :)


Attachments:
Bay leaves&blossoms-Laurel en flor.JPG
Bay leaves&blossoms-Laurel en flor.JPG [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 1417 times ]
Tomates.jpg
Tomates.jpg [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 1417 times ]

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:50 pm  (#426) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
My tries. I learnt to use Heal Selection & transparency! Good! :hi5, but still learning masks. :)


Attachments:
Bay leaves&blossoms-Contrast-unsharp mask-vibrancy.JPG
Bay leaves&blossoms-Contrast-unsharp mask-vibrancy.JPG [ 1.44 MiB | Viewed 1417 times ]
Tomates-HealSelection-Stretch-NG-65%opacity.jpg
Tomates-HealSelection-Stretch-NG-65%opacity.jpg [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 1417 times ]

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:33 pm  (#427) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
Issabella,
Thank you for asking about Heal Transparency and Heal Selection. I discovered that there is much more in this suite of programmes that I still have to learn about.
Now, as ordered, my try at your latest two photographs! :hehe

Bay Leaves: Intensified the colours using Colours/Components, Cropped to emphasise the main group of flowers, Duplicate Layer and add Radial Gradient. I darkened the top layer so that the corners become darker and blur 10px. Bottom layer - Wavelet Sharpen.

Tomatoes: G'MIC Foreground Extract. Background layer, darken and blur. Foreground layer I used curves to increase contrast and brightness, then cropped the image.

(That tomato looks very tasty!!!)

david.


Attachments:
Bay leaves&blossoms-Laurel en flor.JPG
Bay leaves&blossoms-Laurel en flor.JPG [ 1.24 MiB | Viewed 1414 times ]
Tomates.jpg
Tomates.jpg [ 613.61 KiB | Viewed 1414 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:06 am  (#428) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
Thanks David. :)
I find your results good balanced in your aims. Also, I appreciate your conclusions to get the desired target. So, I can see what steps are needed for it.
David, when you applied a radial gradient, was it from transparent to black with opacity low about 20% ? Thank you so much.

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:45 am  (#429) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
Issabella,

For the radial gradient, I added a layer mask to the top layer and put the gradient on the layer mask - Black in the middle, going towards white at the corners.
The black area was too small initially, so I used curves to darken the dark parts of the gradient.

I have attached a screen-shot because I don't think the explanation is very clear!

david.


Attachments:
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png [ 549.37 KiB | Viewed 1400 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:26 am  (#430) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
Thank you so much David. Understood. :) :tyspin

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:35 am  (#431) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
Issabella,

The screen-shot was with the mask visible, but I should have added that if you select the mask and have the picture visible, you can see the changes as you make them.
The other advantage of using a layer mask is that, if you don't like the result, just delete the layer and mask and you have your original image.

david.


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:42 am  (#432) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
Thank you so much David. Interesting what you say. I have to practise it to be sure I have understood it correctly. :tyspin

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:48 pm  (#433) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
Issabella,

I have created another tutorial! It shows the process that I went through with your Bay Leaves & Flowers Picture, particularly using a layer mask to apply the gradient.
I hope it may prove more useful than my previous attempts at explanation!

I have zipped the file to reduce its size.

david.


Attachments:
Bay leaves&blossoms-Laurel en flor.JPG
Bay leaves&blossoms-Laurel en flor.JPG [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 1272 times ]
gradients_and_layers.pdf.zip [4.53 MiB]
Downloaded 103 times
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:01 pm  (#434) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
Thank you so much David. I'm sure that your tutorial will be very useful. :tyspin :)

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:10 am  (#435) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
Another photograph for anyone to try!!!

david.


Attachments:
flowers.jpg
flowers.jpg [ 825.73 KiB | Viewed 1251 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:59 pm  (#436) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
Thank you David. Your tutorial is really useful and very understandable, and easy to follow, too. Nice photo. Here my try. :)


Attachments:
flowers-Try-Issa.jpg
flowers-Try-Issa.jpg [ 599.61 KiB | Viewed 1242 times ]

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:45 pm  (#437) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
Issabella,
I am glad the tutorial is useful. I try to explain why I use certain steps, so that others will understand the reasons and can adapt them to suit themselves.

Your result on the latest picture is very good!

Now for my try. I made a selection of the flowers and pasted it onto a new transparent layer. Then I used curves to darken and reduce contrast on the bottom layer - particularly in the brighter parts. I used a gaussian blur of 7px to slightly diffuse the leaves that were in focus. On the top layer, the flowers, I used curves to enhance the contrast slightly. I cropped the image.

david.


Attachments:
flowers.jpg
flowers.jpg [ 574.7 KiB | Viewed 1236 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:07 am  (#438) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
David, thank you for sharing your steps on your photography. I can see the good result with them in a delicate enhance transformation. :)
This photo, I leave for you all play. I see in it, dull colours, blur, and in the whole it isn't interesting at all. So when you experts see a photo as this is, I would like to know what your planning to act is on it. What is the first actuation? What is the best effect to get from a photo which isn't perfect? Are there an order in acting? I have many questions but these are the first ones. :) :tyspin


Attachments:
Flores silvestres - Moncayo.jpg
Flores silvestres - Moncayo.jpg [ 306.48 KiB | Viewed 1220 times ]

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:47 am  (#439) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
Issabella,

For a reply to your question, I think you need a real expert, such as dinasset!

My first impression is that the photograph may be slightly overexposed - there is no true black and the flowers are too white, so lack detail.
As always, I used Luminosity Masks! I duplicated the image twice. On the top layer I added a LLL Luminosity Mask - only the flowers were white in this.
I used Colours/Curves to try and get some detail in the flowers.
The middle layer I used MMM Luminosity Mask with Colours/Curves. Left end of the line to the start of the histogram to produce a true black, then modified the curve to bring out details - particularly the branches with their lovely texture.
A couple of screen-shots to try and make it clear.
Finally, Wavelet Sharpening and an increase in saturation.

Where has everyone else gone on this thread - I am missing them!!!

david.


Attachments:
MMM_mask_adjust.png
MMM_mask_adjust.png [ 2.01 MiB | Viewed 1218 times ]
LLL_mask_adjust.png
LLL_mask_adjust.png [ 1.65 MiB | Viewed 1218 times ]
Flores silvestres - Moncayo.jpg
Flores silvestres - Moncayo.jpg [ 595.51 KiB | Viewed 1218 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:51 am  (#440) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
Here is another photograph for anyone to try. I would instinctively use masks to modify it. Others may have better solutions!

david.


Attachments:
forest_path.jpg
forest_path.jpg [ 1.84 MiB | Viewed 1218 times ]
Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 73  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group