It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 4:48 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 73  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:29 pm  (#601) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
Issabella,

Clever use of the gradient on the picture of Port Meirion - I might have to try again!!!

david.


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:42 pm  (#602) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
A very quick try - I am stealing ideas and adapting them!!!

The Port Meirion photograph: Duplicate image. Add layer mask (black) to top layer. Instead of using a pre-made gradient, select the dark areas, feather by a large amount (30-40px), fill with background colour (white). This now creates a mask for the specific areas. Adjust top layer. Then I have enhanced colour and sharpened. This is a very rough and ready trial (it is late at night!). I may try to do a tidier version tomorrow. It is just the concept I wished to explore.

Screen print to show the idea.

david.


Attachments:
masking.png
masking.png [ 2.13 MiB | Viewed 1527 times ]
port_meirion1.JPG
port_meirion1.JPG [ 677.99 KiB | Viewed 1527 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:33 pm  (#603) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Oct 02, 2014
Posts: 5059
Location: Sydney Australia
I always seeem to be a number of images behind the rest of you, but here is my German Shepherd -

Image

_________________
Image

Respect should be offered freely but hard earned


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:39 pm  (#604) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2015
Posts: 256
Sorta got it to look like a thomas the tank engine village.


Attachments:
thomas the tank engine village.png
thomas the tank engine village.png [ 3.48 MiB | Viewed 1513 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:07 am  (#605) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14199
Location: Spain, Aragón
David, your new steps on port_meirion are very interesting. I have to test this idea, too. The result is good. Thanks for sharing it.
OMG, nice result with your lightening technic giving a such nice effect. Thanks for your contribution.
Steven, good idea to focus the central part by blurring the far background. I like the idea.

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:45 am  (#606) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
My experiment from last night I have now automated!

Re-try in the fresh light of morning.

Select darkest areas by value - see screen-shot.
Select/Feather by 25 pixels.
Select/Save to Channel.
Select/None (lose the marching ants!).
Use the created channel as a layer mask and adjust.

After that I enhanced colours and sharpened using wavelet decompose.

david.


Attachments:
select_by_value.png
select_by_value.png [ 628.29 KiB | Viewed 1504 times ]
feather_25_px.png
feather_25_px.png [ 1.66 MiB | Viewed 1504 times ]
select_save_to_channel.png
select_save_to_channel.png [ 2.09 MiB | Viewed 1504 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:48 am  (#607) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
The result is probably overdone, but I was proving the theory!

david.


Attachments:
adjust.png
adjust.png [ 631.72 KiB | Viewed 1504 times ]
port_meirion.JPG
port_meirion.JPG [ 802.33 KiB | Viewed 1504 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:56 am  (#608) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14199
Location: Spain, Aragón
Thank you so much David. Perfectly explained the flow and it'll be very useful. It's time for me to practise it. :tyspin

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:33 am  (#609) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14199
Location: Spain, Aragón
David, your theory works great! I followed your steps and the result was really good to get darkest parts to be lighter. Thanks! :tyspin :)


Attachments:
IMG_4234.JPG
IMG_4234.JPG [ 456.66 KiB | Viewed 1480 times ]
IMG_4234-port_meirion-David style.jpg
IMG_4234-port_meirion-David style.jpg [ 981.07 KiB | Viewed 1480 times ]

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:21 pm  (#610) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2015
Posts: 256
David's technique combined with levels and color enhancement. I like this picture


Attachments:
port meirion.png
port meirion.png [ 4.09 MiB | Viewed 1466 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:02 am  (#611) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14199
Location: Spain, Aragón
I think that this thread is being fantastic for all of us to learn new techniques to apply on photography. Thanks to you all who are contributing with so many brilliant ideas. :tyspin :)
Steven, you got clearly the darkest zones much lighter applying David's technique. :bigthup
Here you have these new photos where we can act and practice on them all kind of methods we have learnt along this thread. Free for novelty creations on them, too. :)


Attachments:
DSC_0267.JPG
DSC_0267.JPG [ 330.95 KiB | Viewed 1590 times ]
DSC_0251.JPG
DSC_0251.JPG [ 276.02 KiB | Viewed 1590 times ]
Laguna  Moncayo - atardecer.jpg
Laguna Moncayo - atardecer.jpg [ 350.35 KiB | Viewed 1590 times ]

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:26 am  (#612) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
Issabella,

Thank you for another lovely photograph of Port Meirion.
I tried my "new" technique, but instead of using the very darkest point for my selection by colour (value), I used one of the slates on the roof at the left.
This meant that I included slightly more in the mask it created.

Then I played - I added a M Luminosity Mask and put a slight kink in the middle of a curve to boost contrast in the middle range - just to see what happened!
Boosted the colours, sharpened the image and then decided we couldn't have workmen spoiling the view.

Now I must decide what I do with your next three photographs.

david.


Attachments:
port_meirion2.JPG
port_meirion2.JPG [ 954.92 KiB | Viewed 1589 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:53 am  (#613) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
my free "interpretation" of DCS_0267

- dup
- on BG applied Retinex (defaults)
- on top layer set mode to Color
- new layer from visible, set to Multiply, added a mask where applied a bilateral gradient
- new from visible
- added a layer filled with a bilateral gradient Deep sea, set to Multiply at 50%
- restored on top the original sky, set to color
- added a transparent layer where applied a Golden paint on the bottom part

Attachment:
DSC_0267-dn1.JPG
DSC_0267-dn1.JPG [ 791.17 KiB | Viewed 1581 times ]

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:27 am  (#614) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
david wrote:
The result is probably overdone, but I was proving the theory!

david.

Some very visible halos around the shadows on the lawn and the two trees in front of the white house....

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:34 am  (#615) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
dinasset,
Fantastic result - mine seem very mundane in comparison!

The one I have called "ducks_sunset": Various areas masked and adjusted.

The sky: Just colours curves.

Laguna Moncayo: Masked the foreground and increased colour and brightness.
Mask for the water, more blue and more contrast.
Background colours emphasized. Because the background was out of focus, I blurred it more and then used a layer mask with a gradient to reduce the blur at the junction with the water.

david.


Attachments:
ducks_sunset.JPG
ducks_sunset.JPG [ 707.98 KiB | Viewed 1578 times ]
sky.JPG
sky.JPG [ 441.05 KiB | Viewed 1578 times ]
Laguna  Moncayo - atardecer.jpg
Laguna Moncayo - atardecer.jpg [ 673.88 KiB | Viewed 1578 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:24 am  (#616) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14199
Location: Spain, Aragón
Dinasset, I love that photo in such beautiful colours. I want to learn to do it too. :)
David, beautiful results on those photos. I'll do my tries today, but it be difficult to do something nice after seeing yours. :)

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:27 am  (#617) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14199
Location: Spain, Aragón
Much more difficult to enhance I thought it'd be on these three pictures. These are the best results I got :oops:
But I have to say that on one of them I applied Lyle's style and I love it. (if you like to see his thread) :)


Attachments:
Laguna  Moncayo - atardecer-unsharp mask-specific saturation-colour curves-Issa.jpg
Laguna Moncayo - atardecer-unsharp mask-specific saturation-colour curves-Issa.jpg [ 701.14 KiB | Viewed 1539 times ]
DSC_0251-bi-linear gradientMask-incandescent gradientat40%.jpg
DSC_0251-bi-linear gradientMask-incandescent gradientat40%.jpg [ 418.68 KiB | Viewed 1539 times ]
DSC_0267-luma invert-golden gradient-Issa.JPG
DSC_0267-luma invert-golden gradient-Issa.JPG [ 517.58 KiB | Viewed 1539 times ]

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:49 am  (#618) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
dinasset,
Stunning colours in DCS_0267.

Issabella,
Beautiful results on all three of your photographs.

I am still experimenting with my "new technique", trying to find the effects of changes to Threshold and the degree of feathering of the selection.

Two more photographs: in the one I have called "road_sunset" the pole with the cable, towards the left, is not vertical. It leans to the right and bends to the right!

david.


Attachments:
road_sunset.jpg
road_sunset.jpg [ 1010.42 KiB | Viewed 1511 times ]
robin.jpg
robin.jpg [ 687.55 KiB | Viewed 1511 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:58 am  (#619) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
David,
my "painterly" interpretation of one of your images

Attachment:
road_sunset-dn1.jpg
road_sunset-dn1.jpg [ 840.48 KiB | Viewed 1496 times ]

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:31 am  (#620) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14199
Location: Spain, Aragón
Thanks David for these nice photos. I like your artistic result Dinasset. :bigthup :bump
These are my tries on the photos.


Attachments:
robin-retinex-luma invert-wavelet sharpening.jpg
robin-retinex-luma invert-wavelet sharpening.jpg [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 1490 times ]
road_sunset-leveled-double healselection-contrast.jpg
road_sunset-leveled-double healselection-contrast.jpg [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 1490 times ]

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.
Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 73  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group