It is currently Fri Oct 09, 2026 4:25 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: A kind of funny story
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:55 pm  (#21) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
Gms9810 wrote:
I doubt that anyone here would be interested in it. I used to have a forum about Xara but it's impossible to compete with talk graphics in that subject so i eventually scrapped the project.

What is the Current one for?

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Top
 Post subject: Re: A kind of funny story
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:36 pm  (#22) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
you could still put a descriptive link in your signature...you never know who might be interested in checking it out...not just the regulars but there are lots of drop-ins, too.


Top
 Post subject: Re: A kind of funny story
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:53 am  (#23) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 30, 2010
Posts: 1937
Location: Missouri
It's about pet rats, and that's a pretty specialized group. When most people hear the word 'rat' they think of Ben, Willard, and dirty nasty thing in sewers. But domestic, pet rats are as different from that as a Golden retriever is from a hyena. Still the mental image persists for most people I've met, only people who have them know how clean, smart social, and gentle they are. The other rat forums i've been to, and there are quite a few, tend to be exclusive. New people can post and ask questions but the regulars won't quite let people into there little closed group. And not because of lack of experience, we've had over a 100 or them, 22 at he present, and the local pet store consults us on rat health and behaviour. My wife and i have the experience, but still some of the bigger rat forums are exclusive. My forum is meant to not be that way, and a place where people can post memorials about the rats the had that died, a place where people can go and be equals and not be ridiculed by outsiders.
Currently it only has about 15 members but i've only had it up for a week or two though and i have to add some more sections to it. I made a simple logo (I don't like complicated ones) and am slowly drawing people in. But still, it's specialized and doesn't fit into gimp.

_________________
Image
The last time I kept an open mind,
my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.


Top
 Post subject: Re: A kind of funny story
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:54 pm  (#24) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
we used to have pet rats when I was in elementary school. Our favorite one was a male we called Speedy Gonzales. Rats are smart, and he would come to his name, sometimes slept on my pillow at night, and loved to sneak butter when we put him on the table (mom not too happy about that).


Top
 Post subject: Re: A kind of funny story
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:12 pm  (#25) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 30, 2010
Posts: 1937
Location: Missouri
2-ton wrote:
we used to have pet rats when I was in elementary school. Our favorite one was a male we called Speedy Gonzales. Rats are smart, and he would come to his name, sometimes slept on my pillow at night, and loved to sneak butter when we put him on the table (mom not too happy about that).

I have one boy that wags his tail when we pet him. Just recently one of our girls had a pituitary tumor which acts exactly like a stroke. She was totally paralyzed and could only lay there and breath. We both thought she wouldn't live the night but over the next two weeks we fed her with an eye dropper and put her between our pillows at night. My wife and I took turns putting a hand on her so she wouldn't feel alone. Being with other people, or rats, is extremely important for their well being. Now, a month later she's up running around and almost normal. I couldn't give up on her because when i had a stroke (one of 6), doctors said I wouldn't live the night. Your comment that he slept on your pillow reminded me of our last ordeal.

_________________
Image
The last time I kept an open mind,
my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.


Top
 Post subject: Re: A kind of funny story
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:14 pm  (#26) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 30, 2010
Posts: 1937
Location: Missouri
By the way, I enjoy hearing from people who have happy stories about rats and appreciate them, thanks for relating yours.

_________________
Image
The last time I kept an open mind,
my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.


Top
 Post subject: Re: A kind of funny story
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:21 pm  (#27) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
We loved Speedy, it was just like having a tiny dog...they are that smart and have personalities! We, heh, had two females, and so after several litters of rat pups, and a move in the near future, we found someone who could take them. We wanted to keep Speedy, but felt he would be happier if he could stay with his "posse". Our rats were white with black markings, which is sort of funny since most of our dogs and cats and rabbits have been black and white, too.


Top
 Post subject: Re: A kind of funny story
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:10 pm  (#28) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 30, 2010
Posts: 1937
Location: Missouri
There are more markings and colors than anyone can remember, like show dogs, the number of markings and colors are just silly. A lot of people don't know it but you can get pedigrees for some rats and they have rat shows. I'd like to go to one but there aren't any for several hundred miles from me.

_________________
Image
The last time I kept an open mind,
my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.


Top
 Post subject: Re: A kind of funny story
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:33 pm  (#29) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
Gms9810 wrote:
the panicked rabbit ran smack into my foot This knocked the rabbit on it's back

Seems the bunny was lucky. The doggy had a chance to grab the stunned bunny ...but missed it. :cool

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: A kind of funny story
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:06 pm  (#30) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 30, 2010
Posts: 1937
Location: Missouri
Gms9810 wrote:
I have one boy that wags his tail when we pet him. Just recently one of our girls had a pituitary tumor which acts exactly like a stroke. She was totally paralyzed and could only lay there and breath. We both thought she wouldn't live the night but over the next two weeks we fed her with an eye dropper and put her between our pillows at night. My wife and I took turns putting a hand on her so she wouldn't feel alone. Being with other people, or rats, is extremely important for their well being. Now, a month later she's up running around and almost normal. I couldn't give up on her because when i had a stroke (one of 6), doctors said I wouldn't live the night. Your comment that he slept on your pillow reminded me of our last ordeal.
Update,
Annabelle, the sick rat that I said we had been putting between our pillows died about an hour ago.

_________________
Image
The last time I kept an open mind,
my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.


Top
 Post subject: Re: A kind of funny story
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:08 pm  (#31) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
Gms9810 wrote:
Gms9810 wrote:
I have one boy that wags his tail when we pet him. Just recently one of our girls had a pituitary tumor which acts exactly like a stroke. She was totally paralyzed and could only lay there and breath. We both thought she wouldn't live the night but over the next two weeks we fed her with an eye dropper and put her between our pillows at night. My wife and I took turns putting a hand on her so she wouldn't feel alone. Being with other people, or rats, is extremely important for their well being. Now, a month later she's up running around and almost normal. I couldn't give up on her because when i had a stroke (one of 6), doctors said I wouldn't live the night. Your comment that he slept on your pillow reminded me of our last ordeal.
Update,
Annabelle, the sick rat that I said we had been putting between our pillows died about an hour ago.

Oh Sorry for your loss Gms
Be Strong

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Top
 Post subject: Re: A kind of funny story
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:01 pm  (#32) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 08, 2010
Posts: 5420
Location: Northwest Ohio
Awww, so sorry you had to lose her...but you know that you gave her a great life, and made her last days comfortable.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group