It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2026 1:26 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 73  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:45 pm  (#1141) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
iarga,

I like your result, even though I went completely opposite!
I reduced the contrast and saturation on the land and the sky. I added to the haze by a small amount of gaussian blur.

david.


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:32 am  (#1142) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 28, 2016
Posts: 312
Location: Netherlands
Thank you David. Yes, we went in a different direction. I used Local contrast, sharpening, a bit more saturation with G'MIC filters, also a little bit curves. But with that kind of editing I produced noise of course. So I added noise to the result with the "noise generator" to get a more even result with the noise.

I did want more contrast in the image, but it was difficult to prevent halos (edge mountain). So it has not the more "extreme" look, I wanted to accomplish.


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:29 pm  (#1143) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
Great and good results. :yes :bigthup
now, I have these photos. As it's autumn in the forest-Pyrenees. :) I love the natural colours the leaves have. You can do or transform on them. :)


Attachments:
IMG_2692.JPG
IMG_2692.JPG [ 648.19 KiB | Viewed 1395 times ]
IMG_2693.JPG
IMG_2693.JPG [ 724.7 KiB | Viewed 1395 times ]

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:00 pm  (#1144) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
I'll play tomorrow with your images, Issa.
Time to stop "gimping" for me at this time.
A domani.

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:02 pm  (#1145) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
Issabella,
Thank you for two more beautiful photographs.
A very quick play - I will try to return to them when I have a little more time.

Bringing out the fieriness of the colours.

david.


Attachments:
fiery.JPG
fiery.JPG [ 745.73 KiB | Viewed 1386 times ]
fiery1.JPG
fiery1.JPG [ 721.68 KiB | Viewed 1386 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:03 pm  (#1146) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
But of course when we have autumn, it will soon be spring!

david.


Attachments:
spring.JPG
spring.JPG [ 698.28 KiB | Viewed 1386 times ]
spring1.JPG
spring1.JPG [ 765.74 KiB | Viewed 1386 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:42 pm  (#1147) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
Whilst I was walking down to the cantina for my first coffee of the morning, I took this photograph because I wanted to study the reflections in the sea.

Feel free to play with it - I am sure it can be improved!

david.


Attachments:
sea_reflections.jpg
sea_reflections.jpg [ 2.33 MiB | Viewed 1381 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:54 am  (#1148) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
As promised last night to Issa, here my processings (more autumnal hue).
Attachment:
IMG_2693-dn1.JPG
IMG_2693-dn1.JPG [ 788.16 KiB | Viewed 1364 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2692-dn1.JPG
IMG_2692-dn1.JPG [ 988.35 KiB | Viewed 1364 times ]

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:59 am  (#1149) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
and this is the nuance I gave to David's photo (more early morning's look).
Attachment:
sea_reflections-dn1.jpg
sea_reflections-dn1.jpg [ 2.47 MiB | Viewed 1364 times ]

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:54 am  (#1150) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 28, 2016
Posts: 312
Location: Netherlands
Dear David, Please use the filter GEGL-stress, or GEGL-c2g. (GIMP>Tools>GEGL Operation...>....)
on your images.

Then you can see that you probably want to clean your lens. I hope it is not inside your lens.

example:


Attachments:
gegglstress.gif
gegglstress.gif [ 5.65 MiB | Viewed 1358 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:00 am  (#1151) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 14835
Location: roma, italy
Very interesting info, to check photos, thanks iarga.

_________________
"Where am I ?"


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:31 am  (#1152) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 28, 2016
Posts: 312
Location: Netherlands
Dinasset, those GEGL filters are really useful. With more samples and more iterations, the result is cleaner. Then the result can be used to edit the images also.

They are slow filters. But the only ones in GIMP that give something like CLAHE.

But I'm not sure if I can compare GEGL-stress and CLAHE. That's beyond my knowledge and capabilities.

More information about GEGL-c2g:
https://pixls.us/articles/digital-b-w-c ... /#gegl-c2g
https://discuss.pixls.us/t/enhancing-lo ... trast/4872


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:08 am  (#1153) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
iarga,
I tried running GEGL-stress. It locked up the machine. After 5 minutes I gave up and re-booted. My lens appears clean. I would have thought that if it had been dirt on the lens the result would have been more diffused. Perhaps it is variations in the sensor which is causing the result that you found.
david.


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:11 am  (#1154) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
My attempt at improving the sea reflections picture.

david.

Edit: Picture replaced - hopefully without sensor dust marks.


Attachments:
sea_reflections3.jpg
sea_reflections3.jpg [ 4.84 MiB | Viewed 1549 times ]


Last edited by david on Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:20 am  (#1155) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
Iarga,

Many thanks for identifying a problem with my photographs.
The problem occurs with two different lenses. I have done several automatic sensor cleans and then updated the sensor dust data.
I have taken several bracketed, out of focus, pictures of a plain white wall. In Gimp, raising the contrast and then playing with brightness adjustment the problem appears to be fixed.
I will now have to take some "real-world" photographs and examine the results carefully.

Again, thanks for your help,
david.


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:48 am  (#1156) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 28, 2016
Posts: 312
Location: Netherlands
David,

I wanted to use c2g on your image, and then I saw the dots, I thought it would be interesting for you. So therefore I showed the gif. What it exactly is, I don't know, but the same spots on the same locations where on different images.

I hope you can fix it. (edit: better test with RAW, so then you know there are now jpeg-artefacts. With GIMP>Colours>Auto>Equalise You can also see the spots. )

I have a very cheap negative scanner, with a problem I can't fix. The only advantage is I know the spot.

My try with your last image:


Attachments:
sea_reflections_edit.jpg
sea_reflections_edit.jpg [ 2.84 MiB | Viewed 1570 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:34 pm  (#1157) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
Iarga,

The problem is definitely dust on the sensor. I removed the lens and blew on the sensor and now I just have one fairly diffused "blob". I will have to find the best and safest way of doing a thorough sensor clean.

Unfortunately, saving the dust delete information in photographs is only of value if you use the Canon software, and as a Linux user this is not available to me.

Now I am aware of the problem I can go through my previous photos and use the healing and clone tools to fix them.

david.


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:06 am  (#1158) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
Another try at the autumn colours photographs.
I have given all the colours a huge boost, probably too much, but it makes them more spectacular!

david.


Attachments:
forest_colours.JPG
forest_colours.JPG [ 839.76 KiB | Viewed 1532 times ]
forest_colours1.JPG
forest_colours1.JPG [ 819.56 KiB | Viewed 1532 times ]
Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:26 am  (#1159) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
Yes, much more spectacular colours. Thank you David. I have always liked this range of colours that Autumn offers anywhere in nature. :bigthup

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.


Top
 Post subject: Re: For lovers of photography
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:45 pm  (#1160) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 15, 2014
Posts: 875
A return to a photograph from several months ago (with apologies to Issabella for spoiling another of her lovely photographs!).

I had two attempts to turn this photograph into a moonlit scene, but was not satisfied with the results.
So, yet another try - still not as I would like, but closer.

david.


Attachments:
IMG_3321.JPG
IMG_3321.JPG [ 398.27 KiB | Viewed 1451 times ]
house.jpg
house.jpg [ 240.29 KiB | Viewed 1451 times ]
Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 73  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group