It is currently Sun Oct 11, 2026 7:41 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Baby chicks
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:57 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 06, 2011
Posts: 342
I had some chicken (32 eggs) and turkey (10 eggs) in my incubator. They started hatching today. Except the turkey eggs Tom seems to have some fertilizing issues. :shock: :rofl

I have 4 new baby chicks and looks like 5 more are working on 'pipping' their way out of the shell yet. I have read to be happy with a 50% hatch will keep my fingers crossed so I get more. I have some baby chicks I bought and recieved 2 weeks ago for laying hens and meat chickens in a hut outside now. I got them incase I was not successful at hatching these out. So I have pictures of them in the incubator yet and one just hatched I thought i would share. :)

Liana


Attachments:
incubator chicks2.JPG
incubator chicks2.JPG [ 1.1 MiB | Viewed 2455 times ]
incubator chicks.JPG
incubator chicks.JPG [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 2455 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Baby chicks
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:02 pm  (#2) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
Looks like a busy place. Hope you take some pictures a little farther down the line.

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Post subject: Re: Baby chicks
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:03 pm  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 06, 2011
Posts: 342
Here are pictures of my chicks I got the 2nd of May. :)

Liana


Attachments:
P1010038.JPG
P1010038.JPG [ 324.15 KiB | Viewed 2429 times ]
P1010036.JPG
P1010036.JPG [ 511.01 KiB | Viewed 2429 times ]
P1010030.JPG
P1010030.JPG [ 515.96 KiB | Viewed 2429 times ]


Last edited by Lianam on Sun May 15, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Post subject: Re: Baby chicks
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:08 pm  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 06, 2011
Posts: 342
Ohh.. I should have checked my pic size they are huge!! LOL

@ O. I will take some more pictures. :)

Liana


Top
 Post subject: Re: Baby chicks
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:09 pm  (#5) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
Thank you. They're so cute when they're all fuzzy and beady-eyed. :mrgreen:


I think the bottom one should be our next Gimp Game image.

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Post subject: Re: Baby chicks
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:15 pm  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 06, 2011
Posts: 342
our welcome O. I wished the picture was a little clearer. I used the little Olymous digital camera I have not as good as my other cameras but they use 35mm film not sure if I can get that locally anymore. I will work on it a bit. :)

Liana


Top
 Post subject: Re: Baby chicks
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:53 am  (#7) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16200
awwwww so cute! :)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Baby chicks
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:27 pm  (#8) 
Offline
Former Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 17, 2010
Posts: 618
Location: Rockford, IL
That's cool, can't have that kind of stuff out here though.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Baby chicks
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:58 pm  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
Very cool little chicks Liana :)


I really like that bottom white chick

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Top
 Post subject: Re: Baby chicks
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:26 pm  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Apr 11, 2010
Posts: 545
Location: In the mini-chat, saying silly things
Awww so cute. Don't think I'll be eating eggs any more any time soon. ;)

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Baby chicks
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:30 pm  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Feb 06, 2011
Posts: 342
Update: I have 11 chicks so far and all are black at this point even from my other colored hens. So I guess on a genetics level black must be a dominate color in chickens too. :) 8 are in the bunny cage with food and water. The other 3 hatched today so I will wait until tomorrow to move them out. I lost one chick :cry it never finished getting out of egg and something seemed weird so I took it out and it never peeped at me. I have 20 eggs left and I will waita few days to see what happens.

It helps I live on a farm to beable to have chicks. :)

@ Jolie :hehe I still eat eggs. yum!! Plus not all the eggs get fertilized.

I will post new pics tomorrow the older chicks are moving around more and getting fluffier as they dry.

Liana


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group