It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2026 1:55 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Cool resource for explaining Inkscape filters.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:56 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12849
Just found this site out yesterday evening. Might have been discussed here before but I couldn't find it under a search. Just wanted to share. :)

http://littlewebhut.com/inkscape/graphics_filter_guide/

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Cool resource for explaining Inkscape filters.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:06 am  (#2) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
That's a great Inkscape resource, Lyle. Thank you!

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Post subject: Re: Cool resource for explaining Inkscape filters.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:58 am  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12849
Many of the filters can work directly on bitmaps too O (and the ones that can't, you can just do a trace bitmap and then run the filters on that result). Did this one using a few of the filters in Inkscape. Some of these filters need to be ported to GIMP imo (pretty much all the textures and materials filters especially). Did use GIMP for the drop shadow (more then likely can do so in InkScape but I know GIMP better). :)


Attachments:
GIMP_Icon_without_brush.png
GIMP_Icon_without_brush.png [ 561.26 KiB | Viewed 5129 times ]

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image
Top
 Post subject: Re: Cool resource for explaining Inkscape filters.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:33 am  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 09, 2011
Posts: 1764
that looks really nifty Lyle...who here is volunteering to teach me how to use Inkscape, since I have it installed.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Cool resource for explaining Inkscape filters.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:00 am  (#5) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16175
Lyle try stamping (hit space bar once for each stamp) while rotating shapes or even just paths. :)
Excellent fun with the star tool.I love Inkscape.
Another fun tool is the live path effects.Try the bend tool (great for making blurred beveled corners).

Funny you should mention this website i just recently joined their forum.I have been scoping out Benjamins tutorials on Youtube for a while now.Excellent teacher.A lot can be learned from him.

Try this website akky - http://screencasters.heathenx.org/


Top
 Post subject: Re: Cool resource for explaining Inkscape filters.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:31 am  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 18, 2011
Posts: 620
Location: New York
another reason to get off my lazy ass and learn Inkscape

LOL




I've had this site http://inkscapetutorials.wordpress.com/ for a while just when I have time for it

http://inkscapetutorials.wordpress.com/ ... -inkscape/
maybe i will learn how to make a coffee cup :lol

_________________
Ubuntu 24.04.1, Kernel i686, 6.8.0-52-generic
python3 v3.12.3 ----- GIMP - ver 2.10.38


Top
 Post subject: Re: Cool resource for explaining Inkscape filters.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:12 am  (#7) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16175
Inkscape is great fun and has many newer features in version 48.1 :)
Lyle sorry i was thinking of a different youtuber site - this one
http://www.learndigitaldesign.com/school.php?title=1

But i have learned a lot from Little Web Hut also. :)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Cool resource for explaining Inkscape filters.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:05 am  (#8) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
I love your Wilber, Lyle. That's way cool. :clap

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Post subject: Re: Cool resource for explaining Inkscape filters.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:39 am  (#9) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Posts: 697
akky wrote:
that looks really nifty Lyle...who here is volunteering to teach me how to use Inkscape, since I have it installed.


best resource I found is the heathenX screencasts.

Start here: http://screencasters.heathenx.org/page/11/ and work forward!

-Rob A>

_________________
Image
Fantasy Cartography and Mapping by RobA


Top
 Post subject: Re: Cool resource for explaining Inkscape filters.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:05 pm  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12849
Thanks O; site does look cool Rob; I've not perused too much through it yet though. Do you or any one here know of an Inkscape plugins site for more plugins. I'm amazed at how the ones that come with Inkscape can do. Found some more things about making them work better with bitmaps (trick is having embedded alpha channel; transparancies definitely helps). These plugins are awesome, but I'm a plugin freaks so I want more. lol

:)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group