It is currently Sun Oct 11, 2026 6:13 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: You might be a computer geek if....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:48 pm  (#21) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 04, 2011
Posts: 254
Oregonian wrote:
Willy wrote:
I only carry one 4 GB, but it's on a lanyard which is also my key chain, does that count?
:hehe

You may need one in your pocket for the times you don't need your keys.

i have three, two 2GBs and an 8GB does that count?

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: You might be a computer geek if....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:51 pm  (#22) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 14, 2011
Posts: 998
Alonte wrote:
Oregonian wrote:
Willy wrote:
I only carry one 4 GB, but it's on a lanyard which is also my key chain, does that count?
:hehe

You may need one in your pocket for the times you don't need your keys.

i have three, two 2GBs and an 8GB does that count?

Only if you put one in a pocket protector and one around your neck.


Top
 Post subject: Re: You might be a computer geek if....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:15 pm  (#23) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 07, 2010
Posts: 439
Location: home/Nixnine/.gimp-2.0/scripts/nixnine.scm
I began to suspect a move towards geek-hood when 1. Found myself customizing the appearance of my terminal; 2. Looked into a way to generate QR codes and be able to read them with a webcam; and 3. spend more time refreshing my linux newsfeeds than my email.

Well, that's just a couple.

Think there's hope?

_________________
I refuse to be confused, but am often confused at this refusal.


Top
 Post subject: Re: You might be a computer geek if....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:34 pm  (#24) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Posts: 4050
Quote:
Think there's hope?


Hope you'll ever be the same again? Nope. :rofl

_________________
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes


Top
 Post subject: Re: You might be a computer geek if....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:24 pm  (#25) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 30, 2010
Posts: 1937
Location: Missouri
Oregonian wrote:
You have a USB flash drive on your key ring, on a lanyard around your neck, in your pocket, and stashed in several places at home and at work. You can never have too many of them.
Now that hit way too close to home! I have 6 of them that I pretty mmcu take them where I go. Oh dear, this is bad. My wife read that and said "well that would be you."

_________________
Image
The last time I kept an open mind,
my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
No more open minds or dogs for me.


Top
 Post subject: Re: You might be a computer geek if....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:35 pm  (#26) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Posts: 4050
3 external HDs and 7 USB drives (one on a keychain). And I subscribe to PC World. :)

I'm thinking of subscribing to Linux Journal unless someone else knows a better magazine.

_________________
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes


Top
 Post subject: Re: You might be a computer geek if....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:18 pm  (#27) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
..you wear out mice faster than tires on your car. :mrgreen:

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: You might be a computer geek if....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:28 pm  (#28) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
The labels on your keyboard are all worn off
aka, there is no a on your a key and you can still use it

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Top
 Post subject: Re: You might be a computer geek if....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:30 pm  (#29) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
mahvin wrote:
3 external HDs and 7 USB drives (one on a keychain). And I subscribe to PC World. :)

I'm thinking of subscribing to Linux Journal unless someone else knows a better magazine.


Only half the geek you are Mahvin. I only have 2 external drives and 3 Flash drives (biggest of which is only 4GBytes). lol

:)

You ninja'd me Willy. My third keyboard/mouse is only a few months old so the keys aren't wore off yet. lol

:ninja

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: You might be a computer geek if....
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:45 am  (#30) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb 13, 2011
Posts: 83
Location: It's Cold in Wisco!
You write vbs and batch files for fun and your only 15

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: You might be a computer geek if....
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:32 am  (#31) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16200
...you get so attached to your computer that even when it dies you hate to throw it away.
Also you have probably named it.


Top
 Post subject: Re: You might be a computer geek if....
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:49 am  (#32) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
JFish wrote:
You write vbs and batch files for fun and your only 15

That only makes you a Microsoft minion or a pervert (fun with vbs, ewwwww) :)

Upgrade to some manly language like C++ and/or discover the true power of Unix-style shell scripts.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: You might be a computer geek if....
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:23 pm  (#33) 
Offline
GimpChat Founder
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 5241
Location: Gimpville
...anyone has ever introduced you as their "PC Guru". :smiley2

_________________
“If you reach for the stars, you just might land on a decently sized hill.” - Stuart Hill


Top
 Post subject: Re: You might be a computer geek if....
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:47 pm  (#34) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul 04, 2010
Posts: 2253
Location: Retired Moderator Slowly Returning to the Living.
For me it's most of them!! I have somewhere around 15 or 16 computers (I threw out about 10 old ones).
I've used PC (Dos & Windows), Linux, Unix, HPOS, Mac, VMS, 8080/6, CM/X, etc.

You might be a computer geek if....

you can program in 6 or more languages.
you know that COBOL really means "Compiles Only By Outstanding Luck"
you knew what to do on a computer with DOS 4.0
you can create a one byte file that halts any computer, regardless of OS (yes it's real)
you can write batch files that create an assembled exe file without a compiler
you know what the 640K limit was and who was really responsible
you remember that IBM supposedly means "I've Been Mislead"

Sorry if went overboard ;)

_________________
Artists aren't crazy! We're eccentric! ~G.M. Ross

Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomastergreg.


Top
 Post subject: Re: You might be a computer geek if....
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:01 pm  (#35) 
Offline
GimpChat Member

Joined: Mar 29, 2011
Posts: 346
Location: Wisconsin
PhotoMaster wrote:
you remember that IBM supposedly means "I've Been Mislead"


According to someone I knew who worked for IBM, it stood for "I've Been Moved"
I've also heard it stands for "Itsy Bitsy Machines"

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: You might be a computer geek if....
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:37 am  (#36) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 02, 2011
Posts: 1850
Location: Michigan
I'm probably missing something, but "International Business Machine"?

_________________
Image
I'm back I think


Top
 Post subject: Re: You might be a computer geek if....
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:50 am  (#37) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
PhotoMaster wrote:
For me it's most of them!! I have somewhere around 15 or 16 computers (I threw out about 10 old ones).
I've used PC (Dos & Windows), Linux, Unix, HPOS, Mac, VMS, 8080/6, CM/X, etc.

You might be a computer geek if....

you can program in 6 or more languages.
you know that COBOL really means "Compiles Only By Outstanding Luck"
you knew what to do on a computer with DOS 4.0
you can create a one byte file that halts any computer, regardless of OS (yes it's real)
you can write batch files that create an assembled exe file without a compiler
you know what the 640K limit was and who was really responsible
you remember that IBM supposedly means "I've Been Mislead"

Sorry if went overboard ;)

IBM means "It's Better Manually" (and for the employees, "I've Been Moved")

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: You might be a computer geek if....
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:59 am  (#38) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr 18, 2011
Posts: 620
Location: New York
Rod wrote:
...you get so attached to your computer that even when it dies you hate to throw it away.
Also you have probably named it.

I still have my first computer (Amiga 2000) from 1989. I will never get rid of it. Every year i celebrate it's "birthday" - which is actually the day I bought it. April 12, 1989.

I still have the Amiga 2000 that my colleague gave me - it was one of three computers we used when they started their effects shop so it has all sorts of historic meaning for me.

I still have my Dell laptop even though it's screen crapped out last summer.....We have been through a lot together. I love my computers...

_________________
Ubuntu 24.04.1, Kernel i686, 6.8.0-52-generic
python3 v3.12.3 ----- GIMP - ver 2.10.38


Top
 Post subject: Re: You might be a computer geek if....
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:00 am  (#39) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Oct 25, 2010
Posts: 4812
I'm not very faithful computer-wise... I change computers every three years, what counts is what I have on the disk, and that can be copied. But I have to admit that if I had to go back to Windows I would be very distressed.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: You might be a computer geek if....
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:19 am  (#40) 
Offline
Script Coder
User avatar

Joined: Jul 14, 2010
Posts: 697
You can't use a normal calculator 'cause you are too used to RPN.

-Rob A>

_________________
Image
Fantasy Cartography and Mapping by RobA


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group