It is currently Fri Oct 02, 2026 7:34 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Jeez, forgot why I joined. giggles
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2025 12:10 am  (#1) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Jan 09, 2025
Posts: 3
Okay, first post to qualify for forum sprite status. :jumpclap
Seriously, it's too late for me to try writing a cogent msg. Will return to ask why g'mic is telling me it won't run cause a dll file is missing when I can find my notes. (Put the dll's picture on the side of a milk carton, but it's still missing.)
GimpV2.08 worked, and so did GimpV2.10... until a recent g'mic update. sigh
I have played part-time graphics designer, dabbling with many graphics software programs since the early 90's; but just between you, me and the fencepost, I confess to still being a tyro. :paint
Never could keep up with Photoshop's ever-increasing complexity, surely cannot justify subscriptions. Nope. Gimp will do nicely until I retire.
Happy New Year, all.

_________________
From The Duchess, Shakespeare or Plato: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I'd append, "Credit for Talent accrues to original artists, writers & composers, not AI."


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Jeez, forgot why I joined. giggles
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2025 11:52 am  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 01, 2014
Posts: 14198
Location: Spain, Aragón
Wellcome to Gimp Chat, quillpenV1z
Try don't forget us and share your creations. :)


Attachments:
Welcome_quillpen.jpg
Welcome_quillpen.jpg [ 350.26 KiB | Viewed 1814 times ]

_________________
Image

Gimp 2.10.36 (samj) portable _ OS Windows 10 Home_ 64bits
Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.
Top
 Post subject: Re: Jeez, forgot why I joined. giggles
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2025 2:43 pm  (#3) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Jan 09, 2025
Posts: 3
Isabella, thank you for such a gracious and artistic welcome. Dropped by today to see if anyone threw popcorn at me... only to be heartened by your sweet gesture! It does feel as if I'm starting over, like trying to flick lights on in a new house built with all switches on opposite sides of door frames.

Oh, gosh, I shan't forget this chat, am loving the old style format. Even added a shortcut to my cluttered desktop. I'm far more confident as a writer than daring pretend to be a digital artist. Diverse and disparate interests ("shinies") have me doodling in a quiet moment with Twisted Brush, Dogwaffle's Particles, and a fun little bit of software called AbstractCurves, to chasing fractal eyecandy on the Net, to voraciously gobbling up reams of science news.

TBH, haven't created much of anything in Gimp. Like a novice student driver with a learners permit, I'm grinding Gimp's gears and scraping fenders just parallel parking, having mostly used Gimp to open images from sites in a couple newish graphic formats so's to convert them to png or jpg. (hangs head in shame) Gimp does seem a bit easier than Daz3D or Blender, but then, my HELLO badge says, "Jackie of all trades, master of none."

I may be the only person ever to use P-shop mostly for filling out scanned forms legibly rather than scribbling in blanks longhand. Reminds of long ago, finally breaking a bad habit of turning any form or email into a ransom note with 2000 kewl fonts. Might also be the first person to put my wacom pen in an electric pencil sharpener to get a finer point on the nib... once. Just once!

Thank you again for your oil painting greeting. Timely, as I was just strolling through an on-line Monet collection earlier.
WRT sharing, Quill whispers, "maybe later" whilst slipping off the stage. :sneak


Top
 Post subject: Re: Jeez, forgot why I joined. giggles
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2025 12:39 am  (#4) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Apr 01, 2012
Posts: 8474
Location: On the other side of your screen
:welcome to Gimp Chat quillpenV1z!
Thanks for your interesting introduction :) . Many people have trouble coming from PS to Gimp because they expect gimp to be like PS. Thankfully you didn't do much graphic work with it so learning gimp should be a breeze for you. :gimp

_________________
Image
Free Fun Photo Editing & resources
Poems from the Lord
Gimp Newby
Gimp version 3.2.4 and GMIC-Qt 4.0.2 OS :- Windows 10 Home 64


Top
 Post subject: Re: Jeez, forgot why I joined. giggles
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2025 2:56 am  (#5) 
Offline
New Member

Joined: Jan 09, 2025
Posts: 3
Thank you for the pep talk, Sallyanne. Happy you found my intro interesting (as in verbose? haha)
Hope your prediction is correct about Gimp being easy to learn. Not much time for learning new software these days, though after using Gimp from time to time over the years, was prepared for "difference shock." I tend to go with what I know rather than invest much time learning new. (cough lazy cough)
Was just perusing a chat topic link (Guilloche Generator) I'd saved as a guest back in 2020. Wonder if any of Gimp Chat's talented chatters ever ironed out the compiling glitches for the utility called Mutiara? Oh, I smiled upon seeing Issabella's name there, and thought, "Small world, I know her!" heee
Next few months will be spent wandering through the tutorial links saved in 2019. Lo and behold, YOUR name comes up as having cleaned and dusted the tutorial area. Can't wait to see how many new shinies catch my eye.
Well, back to lurking and working.

_________________
From The Duchess, Shakespeare or Plato: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I'd append, "Credit for Talent accrues to original artists, writers & composers, not AI."


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group