It is currently Wed Oct 07, 2026 6:34 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Well wish me luck!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:55 pm  (#1) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16197
I downloaded the Ubuntu iso (700mb) wubi side by side install for testing it out.
Now i shall install it ... hopefully all goes well.

You will know soon enough...lol

Here goes! =P


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Well wish me luck!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:07 pm  (#2) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
Got fingers and toes X'd for you. Break a leg!!

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Post subject: Re: Well wish me luck!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:27 pm  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 06, 2010
Posts: 4050
Just so you know, Rod. Wubi is very unstable, especially with updates and GRUB issues.

I would strongly suggest you create a Live CD just in case you find an update terrorizing your GRUB configuration and preventing you from logging in.

_________________
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes


Top
 Post subject: Re: Well wish me luck!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:51 pm  (#4) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16197
I can not even get the installer to start.
I guess there are issues with the python dll file loaded with it.
I even tore the installer apart with 7zip....not able to start it that way either.
Probably a good thing.....lol =)
Gonna go your way mahvin, thanks!

@O ... thanks for even crossing your toes. =)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Well wish me luck!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:18 pm  (#5) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16197
Well now my dog gone cd door will not open, must be a sign.
I guess i'll be sticking with Windows XP after all. =)
I will send for the live cd for ubuntu-10.10.iso though.
Maybe at the end of the year when i have a newer machine i'll have another go at it.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Well wish me luck!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:44 pm  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
I downloaded the 64-bit Ubuntu a few weeks ago, installed it and it actually worked until I had to get updates. The updates refused to work and I kept getting errors when trying. I promptly removed that VM and sticking with Lynx. I've heard a lot of complaints with Meerkat; going to wait til the next version before trying again (Lynx will be supported for up to 3 years, so I have some time). I only have occasion (but do have occasion) to use Ubuntu for a few specific plugins which I have no Windows compile for. Actually made a compile for Maze5 (and had to use their custom compiler). Still can use the online convertor (arguably better, but I like to use programs that are local; much faster). Below's a link to that site. :)

http://maze5.sourceforge.net/create_maze.html

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Well wish me luck!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:19 am  (#7) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16197
Wow that's really cool! =)
I made a small one..lol

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Well wish me luck!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:43 am  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Cool thing about the online version is that you can export to PDF, SVG, PNG or other bitmaps (I prefer vector of course since GIMP can port them and also cleanly scale those results). Hope you don't mind me using your snowman avatar as inspiration for this one. :)


Attachments:
196.png
196.png [ 36.06 KiB | Viewed 2734 times ]

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image
Top
 Post subject: Re: Well wish me luck!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:22 am  (#9) 
Offline
Retired Staff
User avatar

Joined: May 22, 2008
Posts: 6946
Location: Somewhere in GIMP
Tried a black and white image of a Christmas tree shape.

This is an svg file. Hope the image tags work. They don't. You'll have to click the link to view it.

http://gimpchat.com/o/Album-gc/maze.svg

_________________
Image
World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


Top
 Post subject: Re: Well wish me luck!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:11 pm  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12850
Like the Christmas tree maze O. By the way, I didn't mean to steal the thread from you Rod. lol

:)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Well wish me luck!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:18 pm  (#11) 
Offline
Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: May 16, 2010
Posts: 16197
not a problem. =)


Top
 Post subject: Re: Well wish me luck!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:09 pm  (#12) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Oct 19, 2010
Posts: 376
Location: North Central Ohio, USA
@Rod,
If you haven't resolved your CD drive door problem, you might try creating a bootable USB thumb drive and burning the iso to it, if your BIOS can be set to boot from USB. I have an old 1GB thumb drive that is perfect for this like when I want to test-drive a new distribution, as most Live CDs are 700MB. I usually use UNetbootin to create the bootable drive - and it is available for Windows and Linux.
You can get it from Sourceforge here:http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

_________________
Life Truth: #12
My cat is a worst typist than I am.


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group