It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2026 11:01 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Knife Manips
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:29 pm  (#1) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
I did these some time ago, and came across them today. Thought I would post them. A BK9 is nearly a 15 inch knife, but I miniaturized it. Doesn't look totally real, but was still satisfied how they turned out. I like how the shadow on the second photo follows the contour of my fingers. Good old displacement mapping. The last was a photo I took after chopping a tree down with my real BK9. I later got the idea to make it look 3D. Thanks for looking.

Image

Image

Image

_________________
Image


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
Top
 Post subject: Re: Knife Manips
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:32 pm  (#2) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep 24, 2010
Posts: 12849
Awesome Page tear W. Since you used PNG, you can show this one on any background too. Cool stuff. :)

_________________
Lyle

Psalm 109:8

Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Knife Manips
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:34 pm  (#3) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
lylejk wrote:
Awesome Page tear W. Since you used PNG, you can show this one on any background too. Cool stuff. :)

Thanks man, appreciate it. The shadow on the page tear really makes it stand out. Also, I made the shadow from the knife point, to the tear, extend into the tear slightly, to give the illusion it's raised up a bit. I pretty much always go with .png.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Knife Manips
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:28 pm  (#4) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 30, 2012
Posts: 2174
Really like the last one, its just a shame about the cut out in the knife as it distracts from the 3d effect imho.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Knife Manips
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:33 pm  (#5) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
he4rty wrote:
Really like the last one, its just a shame about the cut out in the knife as it distracts from the 3d effect imho.

Not sure I follow what you're saying. There's supposed to be a cut out, that's the effect. I did have it different before I got this idea. This is the original, before I got the idea to make the cut out. I thought it was cool making it look like it's slicing the edge of the photo:

Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Knife Manips
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:53 pm  (#6) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 30, 2012
Posts: 2174
The Warrior wrote:
he4rty wrote:
Really like the last one, its just a shame about the cut out in the knife as it distracts from the 3d effect imho.

Not sure I follow what you're saying. There's supposed to be a cut out, that's the effect. I did have it different before I got this idea. This is the original, before I got the idea to make the cut out. I thought it was cool making it look like it's slicing the edge of the photo:

[ Image ]


My apologies, I hadn't realised it was cutting the edge of the photo, I can see it now you've mentioned it, Maybe a drop shadow around the white border of the photo would enhance the impression that the border is being cut or just don't show your picture to stupid people like me...

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Knife Manips
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:57 pm  (#7) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov 09, 2011
Posts: 726
Nice effect. I like it!

_________________
Image
Be patient, English is not my language.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Knife Manips
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:35 pm  (#8) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
YAFU wrote:
Nice effect. I like it!

Thanks, appreciate it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Knife Manips
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:36 pm  (#9) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan 10, 2013
Posts: 863
Creative and executed with great technique.
It was cool! :coolthup

_________________
bbbbbbbbbbbImage
bbbbbbbbbbb Be patient, English is not my language.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Knife Manips
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:40 pm  (#10) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 16, 2013
Posts: 107
Wow!, To me it seems awesome


Top
 Post subject: Re: Knife Manips
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:24 pm  (#11) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
Thanks guys, appreciate it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Knife Manips
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:06 am  (#12) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar 23, 2012
Posts: 7388
Location: Göteborg at last!
They are fantastic! You've made them look like photos of real models.


Top
 Post subject: Re: Knife Manips
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:15 am  (#13) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
Erisian wrote:
They are fantastic! You've made them look like photos of real models.
Thanks man, appreciate it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Post subject: Re: Knife Manips
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:29 pm  (#14) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Aug 16, 2012
Posts: 4271
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
the warrior: they're excellent manips, great job! my favourite is the really big one, that looks too gigantic to set off my knife phobia :). i think it could use some shading on the photo where the knife cuts into the background, though, so it looks more like the background is actually being cut through.

_________________


Top
 Post subject: Re: Knife Manips
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:02 pm  (#15) 
Offline
GimpChat Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun 02, 2013
Posts: 2090
AnMal wrote:
the warrior: they're excellent manips, great job! my favourite is the really big one, that looks too gigantic to set off my knife phobia :). i think it could use some shading on the photo where the knife cuts into the background, though, so it looks more like the background is actually being cut through.

Thanks. There is shading there. Off the blade itself, then where the "tear" is casting a shadow on the blade.

_________________
Image


Top
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]



* Login  



Powered by phpBB3 © phpBB Group